The most disappointing fruit you grow?

Do you ship? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t sell anything. I just grow things.

Where are you that a jujube died?

1 Like

Gojiā€¦ they are finicky and have an unpleasant aftertaste.

(Jujube - I planted Sugar Cube, Contorted, Honey Jar, Shanxi, Lang, and Li spring of '21ā€¦ Li bit the dust this summer after barely growing. The others are slow growing but were still very healthy this past fall.)

A number of years ago,while attending one of One Green Worldā€™s Fall fruiting tasting events in Molalla,some people were buying Jujube trees.I was talking with a worker and asked him if they will grow and fruit in western Washington.He wasnā€™t sure.
Itā€™s still unknown to me about that.

Figured, but hopefully doesnā€™t hurt to ask.

Iā€™m across the river for Portland Oregon, according to USDA zone map, Iā€™m on the border of 8A, with 8B 1/4 mile away on 3 sides.

I think Kim is growing them up by Seattle.

Jujubes do great in the seattle area. BenB grows them.
personally I prefer apples.

2 Likes

I assume they avoid codling moth and apple maggot, which sounds appealing.

1 Like

A big plus indeed. I wrapped all my apples in stockings last year and still got about 80% maggots.

You need to use ziplock bags with corners snipped to let out rainwater on the apples.

I ordered a shanx li jujubeā€¦ found out this year (year 3 for it) when it fruitedā€¦that it is a langā€¦ yuck on taste and texture. It was like eating lightly sweetened Styrofoam.

Also have a GA 866ā€¦ which set some tiny fruit early onā€¦ but dropped them.

I need to graft over both of thoseā€¦ honey jar, chicoā€¦ sweet tart varieties i would like better.

My honey berries finally fruited in year 4ā€¦ not impressed at allā€¦ yanked them.

I have tried jostaberry and red currantsā€¦ and they could not hack it hereā€¦ not in full sun or morning only sunā€¦ yanked them.

I have had 2 eu plums and a lapins cherry 5 yearsā€¦ no fruit yet. That is disappointing.
I might really like themā€¦ if I live long enough to see them fruit.

3 Likes

Really, at what size did you wrap them?

I thought the consensus was that the footies were very effective against apple maggot, and mixed results for codling moth.

What varieties did you have of honeyberry? Older varieties are bland and or bitter. The new varieties are extremely tasty.

Iā€™m pretty sure I was too late. Last year it was a nasty rainy spring and I hesitated to do it.

1 Like

So far apples. My pollinator died, had to plan a new tree.

@Adamsmasherz ā€¦

Best I remember mine were blue sea and blue pagoda ā€¦ the OGW catalog made them sound goodā€¦ they were both in their list of late bloomers.

They were somewhat moist, tartā€¦ but out of 20 or so berries I got to try last springā€¦ none were sweet. I let them hang after turning blue hoping to find one that tasted good but no luck with that.

My birds liked themā€¦ so all those that i left blue on the bush to ripen moreā€¦ they ate.

My strawberries and goumi ripened before themā€¦ and tasted much better.

Not a prime jujube growing area.

The trees grow well in Seattle but the fruit quality in most years for most cultivars is subpar. Not enough summer heat.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the problem. I would definitely recommend a newer variety especially the boreal series (beauty, beast, blizzard) for your growing zone. I grow these three and a few others. Theyā€™re still young but man do they have tasty berries. Theyā€™re a top tier berry in the opinions of myself and my family. They all have some mild tartness but I think it complements the flavor very well.

That being said, theyā€™re an absolute bird magnet as you noted.

Oh yeah, 2022 spring never happened here. I waited to till the vegetable garden, and was still waiting like in July. Never seen one that bad before.