The next big project

Very good :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The place has a lot of sentimental meaning for me. When i was a kid i swam in this pond a lot. Today i saw several hundred + pound fish swimming very close to the surface. There will be many repairs that will need done. This was my favorite place to be in my childhood.

15 Likes

@DennisD

Planning to irrigate a garden and orchard. Nut trees grow very well in this location.

6 Likes

Congrats @clarkinks, is that why you were silent about it. Beautiful.

2 Likes

@SoCalGardenNut

Was silent because i did not know the specifics of the deal until i figured it out. Worked with the land owner and let them specify the price.

5 Likes

Go nuts with the new property. Now, you just need to create the dock and get a boat. Go on a panic with one hand on the pear and the other hand on an apple. Fishing on your own property is awesome.

3 Likes

@smilemore

Yes fishing on my current property is very relaxing
https://growingfruit.org/t/ponds-are-a-great-investment/7033 . My current boat is pretty old. We grow so much fruit now im not sure i want to grow anymore. Might stick with mostly nuts.

8 Likes

This is beautiful! Great job!

5 Likes

Well done. It’s not only the compassionate thing to do, but also the first person to specify a price in negotiations generally comes up short.

3 Likes

One thing that all who fish have in common …

9 Likes

current: glazing the planta greenhouse I was given by a friend. 36528747 bolts later and the frame is done. I’m also still digging it in a few inches inside and sandbagging the dirt from that to reinforce around the base outside.

upcoming: melon patch, converting the entire front yard from flowers among a few trees into the melon patch for next year. I need to get a lot of mulch before winter and layer it thick to get ready.

future project: get these damn locust trees coppiced better. they’re taking over and suckering and I’m over it. also gotta insulate the art studio/shed for winter.

3 Likes

This section is heavily wooded with a creek and as i posted above a large pond. First i need to start repairs on the pond. An access road will need to be made. Eventually a fishing cabin will need to be installed. There is some tillable ground that i consider mostly clay that is full of small rocks. My ground at my other property is rich in comparison. These properties are night and day different , but there are advantages to both. I suspect i can grow a wonderful crop of nuts at the new property. The new property is at a much lower elevation. The creek indicates it drains a great deal of property. There are two springs on the property that i know of where water flows out of the ground much of the time. The trees are a mix of old growth and newer forest. There is a little bit of everything on this property. All that said the new property soil is thin like most wooded ground. Much of it is covered in hills.

7 Likes

are there hazelnuts along the edge of the pond? the pond where I grew up had many and hickory too, the fish loved them.

2 Likes

@resonanteye

Not yet but i have some hazelnuts at my other place.

3 Likes

We are working to develop a product and get it to market. For now, details are classified, but I would guess that a few million rural or urban stock keepers would appreciate it. That means it has the potential to help us afford the kind of ranch we’d like.
I promise to give you all an update when we get them available. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Spent parts of the last couple days cleaning up around the old chicken coop. I’m doing this as I promised my wife last year when I wanted to build the solar system, that I’d renovate the coop. My wife’s family built it decades ago, but it’s still in decent shape. The flooring and walls are mostly intact, so I won’t need to do a lot of structural work.

But, It had lots of weeds around it, including some really nasty wild rose bushes in front of it. Had to get my heavy duty pruners out to sever a lot of the roots of them, and pull them up. If you know anything about those plants, they will sprout from almost nothing.

Wild rose canes have nasty thorns, and it took a while to cut the canes out, stack them in a pile and drag them away. Thankfully I got rid of all the canes and roots, and the coop area looks a lot better.

Next step is to clean out all the old chicken litter from the inside. It’s probably at least 15-20 years old, so that’ll be fun. Probably should wear a mask doing that kind of work.

After that, I’ll need to build the chicken run around it. We want to have them free range, but won’t be able to let them out every day, especially if both of us are working. Probably won’t have many, maybe a dozen, but she’s always wanted some birds, so we need to get it done. Funny thing is that she doesn’t eat a lot of whole eggs, but I’ve been having a couple every day since I’ve switched over to a new eating plan.

I’ll post some pics of my progress as I go.

9 Likes

Crossbow herbicide works great on wild roses. (If only it also killed wintercreeper euonymous.)

2 Likes

I dug them up the roots, so I doubt they’ll be coming back. I had to dig down under the crowns and sever the feeder roots with my lopper pruners, and gave them a good shove and out they came. The area looks a lot better than a couple days ago.

I forget the scientific name of this invasive weed, maybe rosa mutilflora?

There’s a big sycamore tree in front of the coop and there’s obviously lots of roots, but those will stay.

Got some pics this morning, I’ll post some later. Maybe I’ll start a new thread about chicken coop renovation.

2 Likes

The paperwork is nearly done on the property purchase and then the enormous job of fencing etc. begins.

6 Likes

Just found this thread. Great posts.

This one made me respond. I’ve traveled quite a bit in SE Asia and Japan. Their egg yokes are seriously dark orange.

In south Louisiana in stores I’ve never seen a yoke any darker than medium yellow… Most are light yellow.

The dark yoke eggs taste so much better and richer.

I’m sure folks with their own chickens who control their feed and perhaps other parts of the US it’s different, but coming back from trips makes me lay off eggs for a while. It’s not the same.

My project is small compared to most stated here. Finish a 46 foot grape trellis for 7 vines coming in spring. Biggest issue is building up the soil for better drainage. All store bought and roadside stuff has too much organic matter which will collapse over time as it breaks down. I may need to just use sand with some compost ands mix it with the native soils (silty loam).

7 Likes