The next big project

If it’s 5 acres its a lake:)!
Nice…

5 Likes

Deeds are signed , survey is done and all the things that go with closing a property like this. It was a huge accomplishment just to finish the paperwork. The hard part begins now which is to return this property back to its former beauty. The dam will need immediate repairs. There is a circular shaped peace of bottom ground that is a couple of acres that will make even the best farmer with the very best bottom ground drool. Just high enough to usually not be flooded but low enough the creek floods it every few years with that beautiful silt that the watermelon growers love so much that they cry when they see it. Will get more pictures as time permits.

13 Likes

Is there enough flow to install a small dam and provide off grid hydro? It’s my understanding that 3’ or less doesn’t require a permit, and staying off grid you won’t need to apply for a 5 megawatt exemption (permits on hydro are horrendous).

4 Likes

Sweet! Sounds like a real gem. I love diverse topography. Lots of different niches to support lots of different life.

4 Likes

If I recall earlier photos, it’s a dam for a large pond, not a dam on flowing water.

If course my memory isn’t what it used to be…

2 Likes

I was referring to the stream mentioned, not the dam.

4 Likes

Aaah. Gotcha.

More photos tonight.

11 Likes

Very nice. That looks like a few acres of a pond. Plenty big enough for a healthy fish population.

1 Like

@disc4tw

The stream does always have water flowing. The thought crossed my mind.

6 Likes

@fruitnut

Might need you to come help me out with these properties i have! It is pretty wild land. I caught my foot on some beavers sharpened stumps in the grass the other day. Could not see it from the top and i was watching where i walked. Went for a ride down the hill where i aquired a bunch of minor scrapes and cuts. Those beavers don’t know it but i declared open trapping season on them this winter. It has been a couple of days but here are a few of the cuts and punctures. Dont get me wrong there is no new scars on my body that are not on top of old scars. Felt pretty foolish rolling down that hill like i never saw it before. Those beavers sharpened every little patch of sticks they chewed off and i rolled over about 100 of them. Good thing i was wearing a leather coat and thick pants. Some of those sticks were sharpened to a knife like point and got through the material i was wearing. Called a bulldozer operator next door while i was at it.

4 Likes

Damn, you’re lucky.

3 Likes

@noogy

That is what everyone says. In comparison to other things i survived it was very minor. If you do enough things in life you are going to have a few things like that happen.

6 Likes

Clark, if you need to unload that death trap, I’m here for you.

9 Likes

@fruitnut

That is hilarious! I’m still laughing!

6 Likes

The removal of the brush and extra trees has begun at the pond. Planning to hire a guy to use a bobcat with a brush cutter attachment and a tree sheer. The dozer and fixing the dam will come afterwards. First i needed to insure the property and take possesion of the official deed.

5 Likes

As many of you know warmer weather and i get along better than the sub zero stuff we have now. Im looking forward to spending lots of time at the new place this year. I will hire plenty of the work done.

5 Likes

Glad you can find help to hire…here after they get their 5 to 10 thousand as a “Rapid Refund” you can’t get anything out of anyone, except those that already have a job, and they don’t have the time.

I certainly didn’t get as many planting spots cleared in the fall as I hoped to…but I have to take care of me, I’m not a spring chicken anymore.

2 Likes

I thought you had to have income to get an income tax refund.

4 Likes

@BlueBerry

Kansas has a shortage of decent paying jobs. If you let a guy know you want him to bring his bobcat over to clear brush for a day and you will pay him $500 thats pretty good money here. Most jobs pay $12 an hour. Would you rather make $12 x 8 hrs - taxes or $500 cash? Seems like i pay better. Then the same guy can bring over his heavy equipment and i will pay him couple hundred dollars an hour. Thats likely more than or as much as many people make in a day for an hour. If you had a chance to work for Clark and made a couple grand for a day and a half of your time or some micro manager boss which would you do? Most guys like the money i pay it beats the other options. A good worker with skills just figure is worth $30 an hour + materials or equipment. Heavy equipment is $200 an hour / bobcat is worth $50+. Jobs around here have a guy like that worth $30 paying him $12 as a mechanic. Since inflation is higher, no one has money to hire him so he is stuck in a job beneath him. Im fortunate i have a master degree and lots of skills. A job that dont pay what its worth puts food on my table. We are not doing without anything in my house. Health is the thing that cuts my salary down not skills. Fortunately that means i can hire a guy and it is a win win for us both. I take something like a callery pear that is worthless and graft to it then suddenly i just made $70 by saving $70 and i do it 10x in a day.The price of fruit trees is too expensive .seems to me my value goes up everytime prices go up. I realize i could be growing BET seedlings and selling trees like grandpas for $70 each. I imagine i could graft over a couple hundred seedlings every day even with health being what it is some days. Lets say i had 5 bad days and 2 good days thats 400 trees a week. Seems like a guy like you @BlueBerry with skills might have a pretty lucrative living with inflation being what it is. The people making 5 or 10k on taxes have kids and money just dont go that far nowadays. Seems to me your value is worth more than 5k in a week just by what i know your worth with no government assistance needed by way of taxes.

1 Like