The Perfect Tree?

Hi everyone! I’d appreciate your suggestions… I am looking for an edible tree, doesn’t have to be fruit… ie. Magnolia would work. Here’s my requirements:

• Needs to be 20+ ft tall
  • Needs to provide a canopy of shade that can easily be walked under
  • Needs to be edible
  • Needs to grow easily in zone 6a
  • Needs to be ornamental and be beautiful to look at

Thank You!

1 Like

Shipova Pear on a standard size rootstock. It’s a cross between a European pear and a mountain ash. I haven’t had fruit on mine yet and they take a notoriously long time to start bearing, but the leaves are really striking. Not like any pear I’ve ever seen. Quite a beautiful tree.

3 Likes

Oh, and Chinese Chestnut is another one that would meet your requirements. My sister had one at an old house and it was a beautiful shade tree. It was near impossible to beat the squirrels to the nuts, but if you can they are definitely edible.

2 Likes

Flat Wonderful peach. Search this forum to see pictures. I believe it checks all your points.

2 Likes

Thank you! I have never heard of this tree and it sounds great!

2 Likes

Thank you for the great suggestion, I will search for some photos!

2 Likes

What about a mimosa tree, it’s a great beautiful shade tree, and also edible (although I’ve never used it for that purpose). If I had more room I’d grow one for its beauty and hummingbird attraction.

3 Likes

Illinois everbearing mulberry.

6 Likes

Morus Rubra… bulletproof for probably 100 years… this tree has seen nothing but road salt, roundup and lives in a refuse pile of bricks and cinderblocks and landfill… soil around it is eroded and pure garbage. It grows better each year and bears heavily.

4 Likes

I have one in my front yard that i have cut down to a stump, then cut every feeder root then hacked on all the new sprouts for 3 years and it keeps coming back stronger…

It has given about 10 seedlings and they all can stay (amazing tree)… but this one in particular was going into my powerlines and shading out all of my other things.

Catalpa is also worth growing for what the OP wants… It is good for eating (use the catalpa worms to catch catfish). Flowers are good for pollinators and the pods are good for smoking :crazy_face: Excellent shade trees that seem to live forever with no care.

2 Likes

Yeah luckily one is across the street so I can enjoy it still, and growing up my parents house had one. I’d climb in it and watch the hummingbirds. My dad still complains about how they spread but now I tell him they are a nitrogen fixer and are improving the soil everywhere they go haha

2 Likes

Our Drake Elm is a wonderful source of shade sticking somewhat in that size. Ours usually is a nest site for numerous birds. Especially hummingbirds.

3 Likes