The price of fruit trees is too expensive

yeah years ago their prices were reasonable. starting about 30 yrs ago it went up substantially. my father used to buy his seeds and onions sets from them and vesseys. once shipping got complicated from U.S/ CAN vesseys stop selling to the U.S. too bad as they carry some plants we cant get here.

2 Likes

Stark Bros mostly sells potted plants so of course they are expensive. Their plants are small and no mention of rootstock too. The stuff I ironically want the most from Stark Bros is sold out 99.9% of the year. Never bought from Gurneys so canā€™t compare them to anything. Raintree is expensive and seems to have a lot of variety. Between Raintree, One Green World and Burnt Ridge I would say you can get pretty much everything that grows where I live.

3 Likes

The only thing I ever got from Stark in a pot be a grape.
It died in about 45 days. About 6 years agoā€¦have not ordered since.

1 Like

What about Fedco, are they any good?

1 Like

Fedco is fineā€¦the stock is a little small (short season I guess), and they ship in April.

3 Likes

Shipping in April is not good in California but everyone ships in March or April here. I have talked about it where I actually have the opposite problem with certain nurseries sending my stuff in January when the ground is frozen. I will admit I have never ordered from Fedco and I do like a big selection though.

1 Like

I bought 3 trees from them last winter. all were good sized and grew well in the 1st season. think with shipping it came out to like $40 a tree.

Overall, Iā€™d agree. But I keep remembering that one Apple tree on B-118 that came bare root in a one cubic foot box from Fedco.

2 Likes

I was looking at the bareroot trees on Maple Valley Orchardā€™s facebook page a week ago or so. Nice looking trees and their prices seem fair. I havenā€™t ordered trees from them (just scions) so I canā€™t comment directly on size/quality.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not too pleased about Fedco, I was just looking at their catalog, I didnā€™t order anything, their potato prices are expensive(for me), but today I found out they charge me $40 for something, is that a membership fee. Been trying to call them the whole morning and they are not responding, how bad is the weather there.

2 Likes

southern Maine got hit with 80 mph gusts last Friday with power out to nearly a quarter million people. they may still be dealing with that.

1 Like

Oops, I did find the email that I ordered some scions from them.

I just planted my fruit trees from Bay Laurel, I think they sent me decent trees. If I need more I will order from them again.

2 Likes

I ordered 3 more pomegranate trees from Bay Laurel today. They get repeat customer when prices are reasonable. I do like to support local nurseries.

I had an order with Bay Laurel last year but canceled. I made an order for some of those newer miniature nectarine and peaches and an all in 1 almond. I have some coming from One Green World too. Bay Laurel has been the only nursery to offer me a quantity discount and I have ordered a lot of trees/bushes.

1 Like

Quantity discount? How many did you buy?
Anyway, I did order from One Green World, the trees they sent are not bare root but very tiny. It will take 3 years at least to get anything out of them.

Bay Laurel gives a quantity discount after 5 trees. It is the first major discount they give. I have found Dave Wilson trees are generally big in general wherever you buy. The Mountain Rose apple I got from One Green World was small but caught up to some other trees in a year. I expect trees and bushes to take at least 3 years to produce. The only exception I have had tree wise to early producing was I had a Girardi Dwarf mulberry fruit the next season when I bought it in the fall from Whitman Farms. My cherries, peaches and apples flowered this year but got frozen off. If your are curious on discounts via Bay Laurel I can link it. The quantity of 5 discount is easy to get and shipping was only 30 something dollars to ship to me. The next milestone after 5 is really at 11 trees which if I bought all my trees there I could have done but they did not have the selection I was lookin for. Sales & Discounts - Fruit Trees Online from Bay Laurel Nursery

1 Like

Thank You @elivings1, I should get 5% discount, but I bought on 2 separate occasions, but thereā€™s a next time.

Another way to save in combining as much on orders as possible. I have had something like 8 trees come from One Green World last year and found that they were willing to refund part of the shipping if you order later on. Of course the more I added the less the refund becomes. I have a bunch coming from Burnt Ridge next spring as they have only charged me for the added plants and not more for shipping.

1 Like

I just got in 3 jujube from peaceful valley. itā€™s below freezing here, rock hard frozen ground. Iā€™ve got them in a 30 gal fabric pot until the ground softens up, in the basement to stay a little bit cool. they are larger than I expected with good roots. theyā€™re maybe 5-6ā€™ tall and very limber, green to the tips. branching thatā€™s been pruned hard. Iā€™m pretty happy with the plants, will see how they do in the ground this year.

Iā€™ve got fedco, burnt ridge both orders wonā€™t be here a while yet.