The price of fruit trees is too expensive

That was what I did not like about peaceful valley. They send when the ground is not going to be thawed while other nurseries wait for the right time.

2 Likes

Box stores have been the worst in mislabeling type fraud , but the best at cheap prices for what you get. That goes for their ornamentals, also.
From personal experience going back decades.:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

In my experience the big drawback of big box stores is that there is also very few varieties or things to pick from. My local Home Depot and Lowes only had two cultivar of apples to pick from and something like one cherry cultivar to pick from for example. They tend to be common cultivars too like honey crisp in my experience. You will never see more rare things like a mulberry or pawpaw from a big box store. Honestly in terms of things being mislabeled they get mislabeled all the time even at nursery. I have a local nursery here in CO called Ol tools which has at least two locations. I bought a yellow fatalii pepper from them and it grew into a Jalapeño type of pepper so clearly it was mislabeled and that was from a nursery. Basically my opinion on big box stores is buy from them if you just want the plant and it is not a rare plant. If you want a rare plant or a specific cultivar that is not super common place buy from online nurseries. There are still fairly affordable nursery online and it gets really affordable when you combine orders. If I buy from Home Depot and I get a few trees it will really not be that much more than if I were to buy from say One Green World and get 4 trees with 20 dollars shipping.

1 Like

I’ve had slightly different experience than you on some things. My local long time nurseries have been labeled accurate probably 97% time, 3 to 5 times as expensive. My box stores have been less than 40% accurate labels. But much cheaper than a real nursery and almost no selection. Fruit trees took 1 to 5 years before the cheat was exposed. This goes back 35 years at least of plant shopping. For years now I just graft a known reliable source scion or buds. Shipping is now more than the plants- sky high - crazy. I wanted a largeish ‘Flavorella’ last year from Arboretum Company who I completely trust, tree was about $30, shipping was close to $100 DOLLARS!!! No dice…

My local nurseries are super expensive compared to a big box store but I have found online places that are affordable is what I was saying. My local nursery here in CO will charge 120-250 per tree. I have found with online nursery I can buy a tree for between 20 something or 30 something dollars online and pay 20 something or 30 something shipping from the right nursery. If you are talking about flavorilla plumcot One Green World has 20 or 21 dollar shipping and is selling them for 44.95.

1 Like

My mail order shipping is a much higher cost zone, Midwest area.
I’ve bought fruit trees from most of the west coast nursery’s since the '80s, never has the shipping cost been such a bite. And some of the rootstock choice isn’t suitable for my conditions.

I am one state across from you in CO. I can’t imagine it being too much more. In terms of rootstocks I know sides of Kansas can be very different. The side by CO is very much like my area (very dry) and the other side is very wet and one zone warmer. I would have to look at a map to see which side Topika is on. My grandma is from Kansas which is why I have a southern accent as well as some more southern verbiage despite being born in CO. Shipping costs going up is a topic in on itself. At least with USPS and shipping it is my understanding back in 2011 the forever stamp was started at 41 cents and was just upped to 63 cents. When I started at the Post Office in 2020 the forever stamp was in the low to mid 50 cents. This means in the last 3 years about half of shipping costs increased in that time. It has gotten to the point that I have just pre bought lots of forever stamps so when I ship something I can just put stamps on it and get the sticky with the affixed postage to it so it does not get returned to me for being over 10 oz. Nursery do not typically use USPS for one and even if they did they do not have the luxury of being able to prepay for shipping because they send too many packages out. This means when shipping goes up they have to charge way more as well. At this point I am even surprised with some shipping costs. The box can be a few dollars alone forgetting about the shipping cost of something with anything over 13 oz or big like a tree or bush will be. I shipped some canvasses to be stitched by a needlepoint company and the box was not heavy or big and it cost 13 dollars to ship from CO to TX before stamps.

1 Like

KS is in the next, more expensive, shipping zone than CO in most shipping maps. Ground shipping can take up to a week/ too long for a tree in a box IMHO. I’M on eastern side in heavy clay. Lived in NE CO in the 60’s, very different conditions.!

I got canvasses shipped to me UPS from the art of needlepoint company which is located in Main. It took a week to get to me. I ordered a pendant from the Dominican Republic a few years ago and I think it took 5 days to get to me. UPS used to get to my house at 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM unless it was a few occasions. Now UPS is lucky to be here by 8:00 PM most days. It feels like at least in the case of UPS their delivery times have slowed down and drivers are getting to houses slower. FEDEX and USPS seem to have decent delivery times wherever I am getting them from however. Both CO and Kansas are heavy clay soil. The thing is your side of Kansas has a lot of rain which make it harder for certain trees. My uncle lives in Missouri and he gets roughly the same amount of rain as my sister which lives in Virginia. According to my grandma the other side of Kansas is more dry but is also far more cold if you look at a zone map. You have the opposite problem of me in terms of water needs for rootstock even though we are both clay. I need drought resistant rootstock that grows in clay and you need rootstock that can handle wet feet. Clark has posted pictures of his landscaping that just turned into a lake after a rain and I never have had that issue. Our clay drains quickly or just evaporates.

1 Like