The price of fruit trees is too expensive

I grabbed a hundred from Missouri, persimmons and pawpaws. They have other good stuff to graft as well.

2 Likes

i got 10 mountain ash seedlings i dug up out of my yard. im growing them out in gal. pots right now. going to graft pear scions from my other mountain ash/ pear to them next spring. may not be as big a tree or as long lived as a pear-on-pear roots but i bet it will fruit much sooner and i have a endless supply of mtn. ash so when these start to decline, ill just graft some more. im betting though ill be long dead before they start to decline.

4 Likes

retail pricing has gotten way out of line with wholesale, I think because existing retailers are swamped. it doesn’t seem sustainable, hopefully it’ll bring new retailers into the business when they see the margins they can get

btw I was extremely happy with my schlabach’s order this year and they’re still under $20/tree

3 Likes

@don1357

We think like that because we know about growing things. Imagine you have no experience growing fruit and you hear on tv fruit is in short supply you grab a $160 fruit tree. We love growing fruit it is very satisfying but one thing i do not like is when someone takes advantage of people like that and over charges them. Why do they need to charge $160? Im saying there is no excuse for them and their greed. We love fruit growing and people like that in it for the money are not on the same level. Sometimes the government comes around and fines them and puts them out of business later after a disaster like covid is or hurricane katrina. Dont like butting into someones business they use to make money either. Typically i say nothing but $160 is hard to stay silent about.

3 Likes

If a $160 fruit tree is price gouging, what is a $100K Ford Lightning 150 or a $70K Tesla?

If people are willing and able to pay the asking price, it is their business to do so.

6 Likes

Totally agree with this. Now if people don’t buy their product, the prices will come down. It’s the wonderful world of a free market economy.

3 Likes

They are often times paying that because they are massive sized trees I suppose. Say what you want about Natures Hills and Fast Growing trees but their trees are massive compared to the bare root trees you get from a One Green World or Raintree. My bare root trees I bought two years and 9 months ago are the same size as my pear trees I got from Nature Hills nursery. With my bare root fruit trees first year the caliper just thickened a bit and it set out new branches because the nursery trimmed my trees to the point there was no branches (many nursery do this). Second year the branches finally went outwards enough to look somewhat like the branches of my pears from Nature Hills and the caliper increased to the size of Nature Hills. Keep in mind if you order a trees you are also losing at least a year for the order. If I waited for the peaches when I was looking for genetic dwarf peaches I would have lost two years. For me most of the time I would go bare root still and would just wait it out but I understand why someone much older than me would want a big tree. I am nearly 26 so have time. Someone in their 40s or 50s is past halfway through their life. 60s they are retired and could even die is their 60s. For someone in that boat I can see why someone would want as big a tree as possible. People talk about grafting on this thread but something I would remember is your average Joe on the streets does not understand scion vs rootstocks let alone grafting. Most just go out to the store or buy a plant online and says sounds good. This spring at Costco I overheard a couple talking about buying a honeycrisp. They were going to buy just one variety and plant it but thought they would get apples by itself. That is your standard person buying trees and plants. Keep in mind people like us on a forum are different than most people. We talk about how to get the most out of space here and how to grow certain plants to maximum effectiveness. I likely have 30+ trees and bushes and a bunch of different varieties. Most people would think that insane. Most would think it even more insane I have learned so much on how to take care of so many different trees and bushes in a 2 to 3 year time span. Another thing is grafting takes time.

2 Likes

Yes I also got some great trees from them… every bit as good as those $80 trees. Same goes for White Oak and Vaughn. Cumberland Valley and Burnt Ridge are other places with relatively good prices.

4 Likes

If you want places that gauge prices Stark Bros is a place that gauges prices for plants. At least the items not on sell are price gauging in my opinion. If you want a good selection for affordable prices I recommend go to One Green World all their trees but a few have done well for me and the ones that have not boil down to user error.

1 Like

Yep! That the cheap one I had in mind.

@smsmith

Thats a fair point if a new truck is over $100,000 whats a $160 fruit tree. Maybe im in the wrong line of work.

2 Likes

I like their site. Well done!

1 Like

How many trees do you think you would sell compared to the new 100k truck or car though? The last person who I knew with a 100k truck or car was my dad and he was a massive spender who has no concept of money. I now don’t know anybody that has a 100k car or truck. I do know many people with fruit trees though. If you grafted enough trees I would say you could get the same as that 100k truck more easily. A persimmon or a Jujube now days is so costly and jujube I know send up a million suckers. I would go as far to say all I got was sucker growth and no tree growth on my jujube when I had it. My persimmon I have are far more reluctant to sucker.

So a lending institution handed your father $100K to spend on a vehicle because he has no concept of money? Did he make the payments or default?

He was a lawyer winning lawsuits netting him millions of dollars in pay from lawsuits. He also was in the business of illegal drugs. He did not need a loan. Case and point your average Joe is not buying a 100k car. Either it is dirty money or they own a business making a lot of money or are something like a doctor or a lawyer. There are things only people with money and power can get.

1 Like

If it rounds up to $100,000 instead of rounding down to $50,000, then it’s a hundred thousand dollar truck.

I’m sure I’ll never have a $100,000 truck…unless the price of bread goes to $25 a loaf.

1 Like

lol
So that’s a bad thing? Elon Musk can buy whatever he wants to buy. Not because of some nefarious BS, but because he’s a genius and worked hard to become wealthy.
I can afford things now I couldn’t afford when I was younger. Am I supposed to feel bad because I made wise financial decisions 30+ years ago?
If a person wants what people with “money and power” can afford, maybe that person should work hard to have “money and power”

3 Likes

Sounds about right.

1 Like

I would argue Elon is not what people think he is. He portrays himself that way but he was born into wealth. He was born into a place with the diamond industry. Bill Gates bought the Microsoft OS for way more than most people could afford. Many of our people who have such a great amount of money were born into it and just used the money to create or buy things no one could regularly afford making them even more rich. Elon Musk was a innovator where he started the electric car trend but now he is nothing special. All the companies are getting their electric car lineup now. Tesla is going to become a premium car brand kind of like how much own a android now but every once it a while you see someone with a iPhone but iPhones used to be the big thing. In regards to getting more money as you get older you realize there is a growing population of baby boomers who are becoming homeless right. It just made headlines a few weeks that boomers are now having a major homeless situation.

3 Likes

lol
I don’t like the guy at all, but I can recognize the fact that he is a genius.
Since he’s nothing special now, you should be able to easily replicate and surpass what he’s doing.

2 Likes