The relationship of fruit production and vegetative growth

The relationship between excess growth and fruit is not always completely understood but problems are typically caused by over pruning or over fertilization. This is a good article that explains the relationship http://extension.psu.edu/plants/gardening/fact-sheets/home-orchard-production/why-is-there-no-fruit-on-my-tree.

2 Likes

This year many of my trees are light on fruit which will cause excess growth. Rather than try to prune off the extra growth I will instead use it for producing fruit and only tip the new growth to promote more buds. Think about a pile of branches as fruit you can’t eat. A bushel basket of branches likely cost a bushel basket of fruit. I Prune what’s necessary but never prune excessively which is a fine line.

1 Like

Useful article, Clark, thanks!

1 Like

Clark,

that is pretty much my experience, too. The only difference is the order of the hardiness of tree fruit . Mine is pear, apple, cherry, plum, peach, nectarine and apricot.

1 Like

Great article. This might be the answer to the question I asked in the following post, to which I received only one response:

1 Like