The very wonderful pear

Until I hear from someone that has broad experience rave about it I will continue to assume that the reason it is described as something wonderful is because Leuthardt bragged it up- it was his baby and he used to be the only source. Seedsavers doesn’t work real hard to sort out marketing descriptions of fruit.

I got my HQ scionwoods from F.bunny. No blossom yet. The graft is 3 years old.

Tony

1 Like

Alan,
Im not familiar with Leuthardt? I always figured breeders such as Van Mons made so many of the wonderful types that they deserved much of the credit for pears fame today. Question the History of a pear or know some history? Post it here! - #21 by clarkinks

My Harvest Queen will is going to bloom this year for the first time so hopefully I’ll be able to get a first hand impression.

2 Likes

If I’d kept searching I’m sure I would have come up with a more definitive article on Henry.

I never met him but have tended many trees that he propagated.
I did meet his son at one of these big professional meetings people go to to get credits for their spray licenses. His father had passed several years prior.

He had a patent on a very popular rose he bred so his interests were not entirely limited to fruit trees.

His son continued the nursery while also running a small landscape contracting business.

GARDENING_ - The New York Times

1 Like

There are some countries that trees last longer than others, easily over 100 years old some of them, like some places in Europe, yet in a place like Massachusetts, the weather is not kind to plants there. It has been through a lot too. Very impressive. I wonder what the fruit is actually like.

1 Like

Still working hard to revive the forgotten pears while there is time to do it. I have some that are very rare and i share scion wood of ones like my small yellow pear regularly.

3 Likes

Today I put a scion of your little yellow pear on a quince rootstock I have been growing a couple of years, hope it will make a nice small tree. Thank you for that scion you sent a couple of years ago. I have it on three or four trees now.

1 Like

Tried to send you lots of different rare pears so like the yellow pear we can keep something rare going. The yellow pear is very valuable as an interstem, fresh eating pear etc… Like TS hardy there are very few of us who grow many of these. Next year i need to make time to send you more if you have rootstocks for them let me know.

2 Likes

I am pretty full of pears now, less grafting and hopefully photos of buckets of pears like the ones you post. My trees are not there yet though, I do believe I may get a fondante de Mullins lille, forgive spelling, can’t look it up right now, the tree is loaded with buds.

1 Like

That pear is super precocious, it is one of the best things about it. Let us know how you like it.

2 Likes

yes, it is a small tree but I may let a couple set, it made a few blooms last year but dropped them

1 Like

@Derby42
Jason,
Fondante de Mullins lille has not been a fast grower for me. Im wondering if it does not care for our weather here.

1 Like

I put the graft at the top of a small multi graft tree and it has grown well , the tree is somewhat shaded by a walnut tree but I killed the walnut last year so it got full sun and put on some nice growth. My best grower is an ayers on ohxf 87 , it fruited last year but just made a couple and possums got them while they were still green

1 Like

TS hardy is indeed a prolific grower and heavy bearing pear. It’s not one of my favorites for eating fresh but it does fine with some cinnamon and sugar and nutmeg for canning. It can be grown completely spray free. I grow one large limb of this type i got from @TurkeyCreekTrees. I grow less than 50-100 pears of this type. We are truly fortunate to have these and others so please don’t think otherwise. He lives nearby and is establishing his new orchard there. Kansas is truly harsh at times but this time of year it can seem like paradise. The rains have been heavy and the weather favorable. A pear orchard can truly make this a land flowing with milk and honey.

2 Likes

The more I grow the more wonderful pears get. I’m trying to grow slightly earlier and slightly later types of pears. The Endicott pear tree was planted in 1632. It is still growing in what was once the Salem village. History

2 Likes

I saw this pear and also read the story and history of this pear. TY for bringing this variety up.

1 Like

@MikeC

The Endicott has such a history it’s incredible! It was there during the Salem witch trials. Pears lives are not like our lifespan. Planting pears for your heirs is a real possibility! Think how long ago 1632 actually is and that pear is still there!

3 Likes

One of my old Boston friends is Eve Endicott of the pear family.

3 Likes

@hambone

Do you graft the Endicott family pear in your classes?