Thoughts on Bella Gold

This one scored a 20 brix.

4 Likes

My Bella Gold Peacotums are ripe. One scored a 25 and the other one a 26. I have one more left. The rest were eaten right away!

1 Like

4 Likes

2 Likes

Aroma: Peach.

Flavor: Between Peach and Apricot.

Texture: like a very ripe peach.

Juiciness: Very juicy.

Acid: A little bit acidic at the center.

Drought tolerant: Poor.

Pollinator: F1 Moorpark Apricot.

6 Likes

They taste good?

I loved them.

I only watered the tree 2-3 times a week.

1 Like

Mine all dropped… Maybe next year.

2 Likes

4 Likes

It got pollinated by my F1 Moorpark apricot.

1 Like

I took a gamble on it last year as One Green World claimed it is zone 4 hardy. It survived -10 in a pot so it must be at least somewhat hardy.

How many years have you had a full crop with Bella Gold, and how many years have you been disappointed? Ever since I saw one carrying a full crop at a local botanical garden, I wondered if I should try it. I wish they would release Bella Sun, which I think is more productive.

2 Likes

Just about anything is more productive than Bella Gold Peacotum,for me.I’ve had a tree for probably over ten years and no fruit.

2 Likes

I had it since 2014 and it only had a crop in 2016.

2 Likes

Is it late freezes, no flowers, no fruit setting, huge fruit drop or something else?

2 Likes

That says a lot! I wonder why Dave Wilson does not release one of the more productive cultivars for home growers? Bella Sun tastes amazing.

2 Likes

Because the productive one is still useful commercially. They’re afraid a hobbyist will send it to China if they get their hands on it. If it doesn’t produce no such issues.

1 Like

80% is due to late freezes and some years it blooms way earlier than its pollinator, F1 Moorpark apricot.

2 Likes

I’m not going to risk losing anymore crops, so I decided to buy a frost blanket. This week’s temperatures will be in the high 30s to low 40s. And for April 5th, I’m tracking a storm that has the potential to bring temperatures in the low 30s; and a chance of low snow levels.

3 Likes