Thoughts on Reducing Extreme Heat Damage and Sunburn for Fruits and Gardening

Hy Brady, I really don’t remember it, but what is evident in view of the 486 deaths in the last 5 days, in British Columbia in Canada due to extreme heat stroke, is that the trend is very hot weather.
It is a fact that climate change is underway and this is one of its effects.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Jose,
Ram and I live fairly close and we sometimes visit or talk on the phone.It was during one of those times,that the conversation came up.

Yes Brady, it is absolutely unbelievable and regrettable what is happening there.
48 degrees Celsius (118.4 degrees Fahrenheit) is an awful lot of heat for extremely hot regions, so in regions where these temperatures are not frequent it is a real catastrophe.
In Spain the tv news are making a great echo of this news and of the great heat wave that the United States is suffering.
I can only send all my solidarity with you and wish that the temperatures drop there as soon as possible.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Thank you @Jose-Albacete for your response. It was very helpful, and exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for. I have thought about using Surround but don’t know anything about whether it works. You answered that. ¡Muchas gracias!

I will look for a source of surround, so that if this happens again this summer, I will be more ready. If it does not happen, then I can use it next year for fruit protection.

Are you aware if fruit bags are also used in Spain?

Bear_with_me, for me it is a real pleasure to be a member of this forum, and if I can contribute my little grain of sand to enrich it, much better.
The use of Kaolin as it is so extremely convenient to apply by foliar spraying and protects from the sun and has a little insecticidal effect (its action against protection against solar radiation is infinitely greater than its properties as an insecticide), so in burning regions and for crops more susceptible to heat stroke, it is a highly recommended product, since it works like a charm.
Regarding the bagging of the fruit, if it is used in Spain but in very small orchards due to the enormous amount of work involved.
I’m just a hobbyist, but I have a two-and-a-half hectare fruit orchard (and I continue to plant more and more fruit trees) so placing bags on the fruit would be a pharaonic job.
The bagging fruit, rather than preventing from solar radiation, which prevents is of the pests especially here in Spain of the fruit fly (Ceratitis Capitata), which in areas with a high incidence of this diptero devastates entire crops.
Chemical control with insecticides is effective on commercial farms, but biological control is infinitely more interesting for family orchards.
For the fruit fly this product is highly effective.

• Magnet Med (belongs to the Suterra company which in turn belongs to the American group The Wonderful Company).

These are some photographs of my orchard with the Magnet Med plates already in place .

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

@murky, I have red currents in the shade of an apple tree. Production is pretty good. No sun damage at all.So far even the birds have not found them.

2 Likes

Thanks,Jose,
The temperatures have moderated since,to more bearable levels,about 85F for the high.
For about three days though,it was probably something new for a lot of people.

bb leaning

Here is something that I do with my Big Beef tomato trellis… to help me out on extending my leaf lettuce harvest time…

That row of Big Beef tomatoes runs basically due east/west and the side that I took the picture from is the sunny side. I have my trellis set to lean back some… which gives some shade to the area just behind the trellis, and there I am growing some leaf lettuce.

Working so far… still getting some nice salad greens, mostly black seeded simpson and butter crunch.

Yep… and my Big Beef are loaded, and about to reach the top of that trellis.

TNHunter

1 Like

I was expecting moderating effects from the pacific due to the strong jet stream we get in the PNW. my opinion.
However it appears that the jet stream itself has become weak and prone to distortion.

Extreme temperatures (hot AND cold) are likely to be the norm as a result. It is a complex subject and hard to say with certainty what will happen. However status quo is unlikely.

2 Likes

I guess a lot depends on which way the wind blows.In the weather event we just had,the high pressure was strong enough to overcome the normal onshore flow and pulled hot air from the east.

1 Like

The jet stream has been having a really weird year, the Texas freeze was also a wacky jet stream event. The Arctic is warming much faster than elsewhere so the temperature gradient that fuels the jet stream is weaker. If these jet stream destabilizing events keep happening then areas like PNW and the UK that rely on the jet stream for mild climates might have to deal with bigger temperature swings than we’re used to!

3 Likes

Any ideas on what I might do to help out 2 recent cherry tree purchases still potted up that the heat wave here in BC has hit hard. Both trees leaves wilted/yellowed up the last days of the heat wave and dropped 50% of their leaves.

The heat has abated in the last day or so, but the remaining cherry leaves are still wilted. I’ve moved the cherry trees to locations with lesser amounts of sun, but there doesn’t seem to be any improvement.

I even have one peach tree that is still wilted, but the leaves haven’t yellowed and dropped like the cherry trees. Any thoughts on what more I can do at this point. The trees were receiving regular watering through the heat wave.

They should recover with time

2 Likes

Thank you, that is good to hear.

This is all rather new for me. Heat like this has never been experienced in BC before. This kind of heat stress is not something I’ve ever seen on tress at home before. Hopefully the trees will recover.

1 Like

@tbg9b, I dont know if this will help but it’s something I would consider. It depends on whether your container trees are rootbound. If they are rootbound, you may need to take them out of the containers and repot r plant i ground, preferably after separating enmeshed roots. Also if they are in black plastic containers, the soil might have been hotter than the air. I have recorded 20f higher soil temp above ambient, in fig trees planted in black plastic pots. That’s all I will say at this point, because I dont know your situation.

1 Like

Yes they are in black plastic containers. However from appearances I would say they were transfered from bare roots to the containers only recently. My guess is they are not root bound in the least (quite to the contrary).

I’m fairly familiar with the stock on hand at my local Nurseries. These trees were new arrivals from a US
nursery I believe. Covid has made it hard to get trees in Canada. Importing from the US was the only option for local retail shops that don’t grow their own trees.

These trees had their root systems hacked very badly before they were potted. They were held in refrigeration for months to get clearance to ship across the border.

The only tree I transplanted from this shipment was a beauty plum. It has not done well as the root system was badly hacked. After seeing this I kept the remainder in their pots to lessen the shock of another transplanting. I think the stress from the heat has pretty much finished the beauty plum that wasn’t doing well after transplanting.

The other new arrivals from the US I’m waiting till the dormant season to plant out.

The stock that I purchased earlier this year that was on hand for a long time at local nurseries I planted months ago. These trees all are doing fine as their root systems were in good shape.

1 Like

tbg, pay attention to this message, it is quite important.

You have your fruit trees in pots or in polythene bags and they have suffered a strong situation of stress due to heat stroke.
If your trees were planted on the ground, the situation would be somewhat less worrisome, but in a pot or polyethylene bag if that worries me.

First of all, be careful not to over water the cherry trees, since it is a variety that is quite sensitive to excess watering (regardless of the rootstock they have).
I use for my cherry trees the two most rustic rootstocks and resistant to root suffocation ( Monrepos y Marylan ) , but if I go over watering , the cherry trees accuse it, so moderate the watering for the cherry trees.

Secondly, and this is very necessary in situations of stress of fruit trees (stress that can be caused by a strong frost, by heat stroke, by excess or insufficient irrigation, phytoxicity caused by herbicides, etc … …).
What your trees need right now is help to get out of that stress situation and this is only achieved by biostimulants.

I see that you are Canadian, so you should have no problem buying a good biostimulant rich in amino acids in a plant protection store.
This is the product that I use, so you should look for another similar product.

• Vegetamin Eco

https://www.fertilizantesyabonos.com/english/vegetamin-eco/

With two applications of amino acids via irrigation, spaced 15 days between each treatment, your trees will become very vigorous and will emit a lot of new and vigorous vegetation.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice.