TIME LAPSE - METHLEY PLUM - Bud to Harvest -Z5b NY

METHLEY PLUM Z5b - 35 MILES SOUTH OF ALBANY NY

26 Likes

I’m envious of your methely. Am in the same zone as you , but different state. Mine has been in the ground 5 years to date, but the actual tree could well be at least 6/7 years old. Mine hasn’t bloom in all those years. I hope this year is the year for it’s first bloom. However i’m not holding my breath lol.

How long did it take yours to first bloom?

@sthao

These grew on a graft and bloomed in the second year (not counting the year of the graft)

Mike

1 Like

Very interesting. I have a Methely plum that is 3 years in-gound for me and was a good sized potted tree when planted, so it is probably a 5 year old tree, and it has never bloomed either. In fact, it is the ONLY plum I’ve ever had (and I’ve had quite a few) that got to be as large as it is and as old as it is and didn’t bloom at all.

One thing I’ve thought may be my problem is that mine is in the shade almost 1/2 a day- far more than any other stone fruit I have. I’ve really wondered if that is why it never bloomed-the limited sun. By any chance is yours in partial shade? Thanks

I see Mike, thanks for the reply. Hopefully mine blooms soon, otherwise it might get a make over soon. :wink:

thecityman, mine is in full sun. It’s a good size about 10-12 FT tall by 5-6 ft wide. I was told by others, that even the same cultivar will vary slightly in maturity. Some will be earlier to bloom and others just take their sweet time. Mine and probably yours fall into the taking their sweet time. lol but hope mine and yours bloom sooner than later.

1 Like

Same happened with mine from a graft. I’m loaded this year already. Did you thin yours? Mine are bending way over, so I need to thin soon.

@rsivulka
I would thin just as I would any other plum. Not as severely as I would thin peaches or apples.

Mike

1 Like

They get much darker here. A very deep red.

2 Likes

My methley plum in Seattle.

12 Likes

Methley and Shiro

12 Likes

My Methley are also dark red, exactly like those on @ramv photos.

Picked my one and only Methley yesterday. I thought it was a pretty good tasting plum.

You pick plums in May??

2 Likes

Hold up a second. My plums look nothing like yours. Mine are the size of golf balls, maybe a bit larger. What in the world am I growing? The fruit is delicious, but small. Super sweet and no bitter skin.

4 Likes

Methley sizing up nicely. They will start coloring up in a week.

6 Likes

What a fruits load! I guessed you didn’t thin them.

1 Like

Unlike apples the branches bend a lot but don’t break. So I leave them as is.

2 Likes