Tracking Feijoa in the PNW

After tasting a few more — Abbadabba is definitely superior to all the NZ varieties. Unfortunately it only ripens in December in my cool climate.it is as good here as in CA.

1 Like

We only get the Early and Very Early New Zealand varieties that Jim chose to bring back. I wonder if, like apples, the better ones ripen later.

Looks like I may see him next month, I’ve got lots of questions in the back of my mind, its been a few years. The Cardinal persimmon and the New Zealand feijoa are high on my list for further inquiry.

How is the edibility of the skin of Abbadabba?

1 Like

The skin is the best part on abbadabba. thin and very pleasant

2 Likes

The next generation begins.
Kaiteri X Abbadabba. The seeds are from my giant 250g 17 brix fruit in the hope that the offspring have similar characteristics.

8 Likes

You’re sure to have some winners in there. Do you have space to grow them out?

Not much space. But they do great in pots for many years. If they outperform my current trees, I will replace them with the new ones.

3 Likes

Now if we could get everyone around here doing the same thing we’d have some solid varieties in the future.

2 Likes

Also got more NZ varieties for grafting on trees that haven’t performed.
Dens choice, Marion, and another one called chesterwoody.

1 Like

Temps got to 12 F here. Now back to 50.
Feijoa protected under Christmas lights vs unprotected

I believe that with protection, Feijoas can produce into spring for a winter and spring harvest in addition to fall

The protected fruit were still unripe but tasted quite good. The unprotected ones were bad.

3 Likes

Great comparison!!
With an outdoor low here of 7F, my protected loquats and feijoa (in 100 g planter), under lights and cover, had a low of 23F.
Both loquats (no blooms) and feijoa (no fruit) look fine.
Unprotected in ground loquat, exposed to 7F, also looks fine.

IMG_1230
IMG_1227

Hamlin orange (in 100 g planter) with 1 fruit on it looks fine, although lower leaves look stressed. Seems like heat rose and got trapped by cover keeping top leaves green.

1 Like

I re-sorted the garage fruit, place larger ones in fridge, smaller ones back to outside shelving.
Those stored in the garage were subject to below-freezing temperatures for a couple of days.
The refrigerated fruit should easily last into the New Year.

Thanks for the report.
My loquat blooms and buds look ok so far. Maybe the Christmas lights worked. Still not out of the woods. It’s just the beginning of winter now.

1 Like

2022 totals:
‘Unknown’ 656 fruits weighed almost 65 pounds, nearly 30Kg, average weight 1.6ox, 45g.
‘Apollo’ 11 fruits weighed 28oz, average weight 2.5oz, 72g.

Harvest dates for ‘Unknown’ were 29 Oct > 14 Dec
Well over 100 sub 1-ounce ‘Unknown’ fruits not totaled or weighed; these were discarded
Estimate 1,000 runts pinched off and discarded over the season.

2021: 384 weighed 49 lb.
2020: 1,031 weighed 87 lb
2019: 467 weighed 58 lb

6 Likes

Will be eating the last of the feijoas for supper today, 9 January. Quality is still decent after over a month of outside+fridge storage.

Two consecutive daily lows in December of 17 degrees has caused perhaps 1/3 of healthy green leaves to drop. This was expected. A recent shaking of the branches did not cause a lot of further leaf drop.

3 Likes

I found my last Feijoa fallen under a small tree today. Slightly started to spoil on one end. But most of it was edible and surprisingly sweet and tasty.
I am very happy to discover that Feijoa can have a long season here in the northern end of PNW.

3 Likes

I had the same experience here on the Atlantic side of Europe. Feijoa’s are a challenge to ripen well here, half of them never sweeten and size up, but the other half does so over a very long season from October to January.

4 Likes

The above ramv image is typical of end-season long-in-the-tooth feijoa fruit.
Once they start forming interior voids, the flesh can become leathery.
They can still be flavorful.

2 Likes

It would help this side to compare relative growing seasons. Your general location?

I’m in the Netherlands, same latitude as London, UK - I’ve also put it in my profile.

1 Like

Some varieties appear to ripen well in the Seattle area. But this is based on a very small sample of one year and 5 total successful varieties.
2 others produced excellent fruit but were late (December or later) even though they are considered early varieties elsewhere.

Late varieties are definitely a no-go.