Tracking Feijoa in the PNW

The last couple of rains have helped with swelling up the fruit

1 Like

Here are my first fruits of the Large Oval variety. I don’t know if you know it, it’s an Australian variety.
The grafting is in its second year.

2 Likes

First ripe Feijoa of the year is Mark Albert’s 8 ball!
This only ripened in November last year!

40g weight. Much smaller than the NZ varieties but very tasty.

7 Likes

Are those tooth marks on the fruit? Looks like it may have been on the ground.

Yes. Picked from ground. Huge critter pressure here

Both my Oktoberfest grafts set their first fruit this year, but neither one showed any fruit development after that, though they are still holding a handful like these:

This unfortunately is what my Nikita does every year!
Hope your tree does better next year

1 Like

I do have a couple other grafts on those bushes that haven’t flowered yet, including Larry’s, so I’m hoping something will end up successfully fruiting.

1 Like

Arhart next week in tree 2 years

Small but early

4 Likes

Interesting. My Arhart produces large fruit. But is very early like in your experience

Same in china, big fruit and early

1 Like

Kakariki today

9 Likes

Is there a reliably self-fertile early variety? I’m trying to replace a Christmas tree-looking pine tree of some type with something that makes food and my cat can still hide out under year round.

I believe Takaka is reliably self fertile

Feijoa is not typically a good shrub for cat hide-outs.

1 Like

Just as a reference point: here in the Netherlands none of my Feijoa’s in the ground are ripening yet.

But those in my greenhouse have been ripening since two weeks.

Here is a picture of Nikita on te left and a single Apollo on the right - both from my greenhouse. And some more Apollo’s ripening in the greenhouse.

My Feijoa’s in the ground outside will probably take another month to ripen. The autumn rains have started last week so they are sizing up now.

5 Likes

As I told you the other day, the Nikita produces fruits that are really too small.
Given the varieties available today, it is better to count on very early ones with large fruits.

1 Like

Yea you are absolutely right. Still, the flavor is good of Nikita, but the difference in size is incredible.
I planted it because it was the earliest one available ale at the time, but I am looking forward at trying out the newer early and large varieties!

The difference of ripening of different varieties also seems pretty variable - sometimes there is more than a month difference between varieties, but this year with a rainy summer, very hot and dry September and lots of rain the last two weeks, they all seem to ripen very close together.

3 Likes

For me, at this time, the besrt flavor feijoa variety, it’s kakapo

2 Likes

Takaka is a heavy producer

6 Likes