Tracking Feijoa in the PNW

How are Feijoa about coming out of dormancy? I picked up a Takaka plant a little over a month ago. It was getting cold already (and I need to remove a tree to plant it), so I kept it indoors in a pot. It’s not done…anything since. I haven’t done a scratch test as there’s not a whole lot to scratch, but it only lost two tiny leaves, and the rest seem well attached, so I’m pretty sure its still alive.

The pomegranate I picked up at the same time dropped all its leaves while it was in shipping, and has since sprung back into action with several 6" new branches and regrown all its leaves.

I have been grafting for decades. I just haven’t ever grafted feijoa/pineapple guava. Is there any special instructions for grafting this plant?
Thanks,
John S
PDX OR

The wood is notoriously brittle from what I’ve heard.

Nothing special. I’ve had very good success in summer and whenever I used a callusing pipe. I’ve done lots of feijoa grafts.

Yes, the wood is brittle with thin bark. It hasn’t been a problem though.

1 Like

They are definitely slow to get going in spring. They are evergreen, though, so they shouldn’t be losing too many leaves or I’d start to get concerned.

2 Likes

As @ramv said, I haven’t done anything special. The brittleness means that making the cuts is tricky. My clefts go deeper than I want. I’ve found that I lose a lot to birds playing games since tbe split means the graft is less secure. I think I’m going to try zipties this season to secure the grafts

For me, I have to stay on top of the mature plants because the plant suckers a lot, and the suckers rob the graft of energy. so a lot of trimming over the season. I don’t remember the same issue happening with baby seedlings .

2 Likes

It finally broke a bud…below the graft. So that was rubbed off, but it’s doing something at least.

That is an impressive harvest my friend. Which varieties are your favorite so far?

At this time, for me it’s kakapo the best at home.
But others varieties will fruited in 2024,… Takaka, Wiki-tu, and some others

1 Like

Would you happen to be in the U.S.? I’m curious if anyone in the states has been able to get varieties like Kakapo and Pounamu from NZ.

I have Pounamou, I live in France

1 Like

Picking the last of the Feijoa for the year. I have just one other variety holding fruit. It is a seedling of a variety called ‘Precocious’

Abbadabba below

3 Likes

My crop was early again this year. No New Year’s fruit for me, even from storage.

1 Like

The very last feijoa on the last day of the year.
This one is a seedling of ‘precocious’. From fruitwood nursery. The bottom 2 are from yesterday (Abba)

I have a new favorite Feijoa- it is the seedling I just tasted. The parent is a variety called Precocious. The fruit tastes more like a pear than a feijoa. Near zero astringency near the skin. The skin is actually sweet. Excellent flavor. 16 brix. Almost no tartness and mild flavor. Beats all NZ and CA varieties I’ve tasted.
Too bad it’s rather late.

I’m going to plant this in ground next year and make many copies.

7 Likes

I request to be on the short list for whenever you’re good to distribute sone of those copies : D

1 Like

Did it have any of the jelly in the middle with the seeds?

No jelly.
I see this with all the top rated cultivars — they have uniform white meat all the way in.

Interesting, I’ve only seen that once, with my Nikita. It was a small fruit and I assumed it was malformed. Maybe that’s normal for it. I don’t think I’ve seen pictures of cut fruit without the jellied center. I wonder if we’re miscommunicating.

Here’s a photo from earlier in the season

3 Likes