Tracking Feijoa in the PNW

ramv: how soft was the way past prime fruit and how much of the interior was gelatinous?

Here is how it looked. Quite soft. I still need to get a feel for picking Feijoa correctly.

1 Like

The doesn’t look bad inside. Larry’s are still good like that. Sweeter and more mild.

Outside looks a little beat up.

This might be the last feijoa of the season. And by far the largest! I’ave never seen a feijoa this large.
I had to pick it off the tree as the slugs were having a feast!
17 brix, the tastiest of the season by far! The skin was not just edible but actually delicious.

5 Likes

Nice fruit.
About 60% of fruits have been harvested here.

3 Likes

Do you think the remainder will survive the projected cold next week?

Which variety was this one?

I missed the post.
Here are some results from the year at home.

5 Likes

ramv: 7-day forecast low is 28, nothing I haven’t already seen this season.
Fruits are ripening so slowly they do not drop as normal and require a on-bush squeeze test.

1 Like

Thanks Larry.
Fruits on the Mark Albert varieties are all still hard. Also have fruit on other NZ varieties still holding on.
Expect our minimum next week to be around 26. Hope the fruits can survive that.

Christophe, can you provide the variety names? Or are they seedlings?
What is your location? And climactic conditions through the year? Thank you.

I also started a bunch of seeds from the 250g monster feijoa. I think it has excellent genetics as it was hand pollinated with one of Mark Albert’s varieties.

All the fruits shown are 4-year-old seedlings, placed as a hedge 2 years ago in the ground.
no names. he has one that is made of striped fruit. that’s why I posted the photo.

1 Like

What is your location? Climate?

My climate is normally characterized by a short summer period and low temperatures. A long but not excessively cold winter. The minimums are -18°C.
The climatic zone is 7b.
Here is a photo of the trees in the spring on April 1.

1 Like

I admit I was surprised by these seedlings.
First the fruit size.
Secondly, they matured in my climate and only 4 years later sowed seeds…
If I have to compare with Den’s choice or Kakapo, the big fruits you saw are a month earlier… it’s huge. We’ll see if I have fruit on Anatoki, kakariki, kaiteri or Arhart next year to compare.
I have one, the last, which has not yet dropped its fruits. I put a photo… but for me it will be too late. The jellies are here!

Like you, I saved seeds from fruits.
Only the Kakapo, which I had pollinated manually with 3 varieties (Anatoki, Den’s Choice, Large oval) and also Den’s × Kakapo.
results in 4 years.
This year I am grafting Takaka and Wiki-tu.
I need to find Waingaro.

4 Likes

I have one of Mark’s varieties finally drop! Abbadabba.

As it is a young tree, fruit size is smaller. I’ve heard they can be about 70g or so on average. Mine are much smaller than the NZ varieties.
Taste test to follow later.

They don’t have the intense myrtaceous smell of some varieties (which I find overpowering). I have high expectations for this one as the flavor is supposed to be tops.

1 Like

As of yesterday I qualified for the 2022 Feijoa 100 Club, one of my ‘Unknown’ fruits
weighted in at an even 100 grams (3.53 oz).

For my uncut fruits, even in mass quantities, I have never noticed an aroma.
My last ‘Apollo’ was harvested 3 days ago and is softening indoors.
There may still be 100 fruits on the ‘Unknown’ bush.
Outdoor temperatures continue to be well below average.

2 Likes

Your variety seems highly worthy of distribution. I prefer to eat the feijoa with the skin and some varieties have a very powerful aroma which is not that pleasant.

BTW, one of my Apollos just suddenly started swelling. I didn’t even know there was a fruit on that little tree. It is amazing that feijoas can keep swelling and ripening even in this cold --often subzero (C) temperatures.

Another very interesting feature about feijoas – some are putting out a flush of new growth in this cold weather!

1 Like

I tried peeling Unknown fruit but leaving about 10% of the skin on. I may like it better that way, but its more work than cutting in have and scooping out the flesh with a spoon. With the whole skin, I find it too unpleasant. And I generally eat skin on most fruits that are eaten both ways.