Trailman crabapple

I am looking for crabs where the fruit would be suited to longer cold storage and still be viable as eating apples. I’ve tasted Trailman which is described as a summer apple but that, where I am located, ripens in September. Does anyone have experience with it in storage? And are there any crabs you would recommend that keep well in cold storage?

2 Likes

Trailman dont holdmthat well in storage. I would recommend later ripening crabs, like Chestnut and Wickson.

2 Likes

Many thanks Jesse. Would you say they are similar in taste profile, hardiness and abundant crops?

1 Like

Also, what size are the trees when mature?

1 Like

@JesseS Hi Jesse. Im trying to finalize my order for this spring and found this thread helpful. I was wondering a few things. Have you had a chance to try trailman apples in hard cider yet? Also, have you been able to try your whitney apples and compare to the others? This is another one I’m considering adding. Would you say that the labor is significantly higher to collect enough apples for cider when doing crabs? The bonus i could see is you would probably save time on not quartering them. I don’t want too many crabs if the work for gathering them for juicing is quite a bit harder. Im growing for both fresh eating and hard cider. Thanks.

1 Like

It’s pretty sharp(Acidic) for hard cider.

Here is my Trailman in bloom this year, it flowers fully and early

5 Likes

Looks like a bumper crop of crabs on the way.

2 Likes

FYI that is the same tree as the OP, now 11 yrs old and has developed a nice spreading form

2 Likes

Trailman continues to be a winner here, now yielding several bushels annually. Ripe now and just starting to drop!

4 Likes

Do codling moth, curculio leave your Trailman alone?

Some pc some sf but no cm, no scab

1 Like

I am hooked on Trailman now as well. Tree is growing strong. Great disease resistance and the fruit is tasty. I am thinking of calling them the one bite wonder! LOL

2 Likes