Tree damage from a beaver

We both laughed when he told me that story. He said the same thing. I told him " you need to put him on your payroll"

2 Likes

@MikeC

Definately sorry to read about your damage. My beaver didnā€™t stay long on my property but he did some damage. He also did me more favors than damage.

3 Likes

I had another beaver stop by my pond a number of years back before I started my orchard. He only stayed a week or so and took down a few trees along the bank of my pond. Then as fast as he showed up, he left. Put some tree debris on the drainage pipe area but not enough to plug it up. For some reason he just left. This last two beaver stayed a lot longer than I had hoped. Once we got the one beaver the other younger and smaller beaver left. I hope I do not get any more visitors like that.

2 Likes

When beavers have a litterā€¦ the young normally stay with their parents for two yearsā€¦ then just before the parents have their next litter those two year olds are run off. Time to go.

Those young two year olds will search out any creek or streamā€¦ traveling up or down it looking for a place to possibly dam up and create their own oasisā€¦ or if they do find a nice pond or lakeā€¦ they can tale up residency thereā€¦ build a lodgeā€¦ raise their own litter.

That is at least part of the reason you may not have beavers one weekā€¦ then boomā€¦ they show up the next week. They have been run offā€¦ and are seeking their on place to establish.

There will most likely be a never ending supply of that.

5 Likes

Never had beavers, but I sure used to have porcupines, basically climbing beavers. They could either girdle trees or kill them by eating all the branches while in the tree.

3 Likes

Got a feeling i know what happened to the beaver who attacked my BET pear rootstocks. Didnā€™t see him afterwards. As you can see the rootstock grew back. Need to top work 30+ of these around the pond here and there. They were planted mostly to feed animals anyway. If i make it easy for deer and racoons by the water to eat fruit what business will they have in my orchard? The chewed down stump the beaver left can still be seen in the middle of the two branches that sprouted up.

3 Likes

Makes sense. Thank you for the helpful information.

1 Like