Trip to Century Farm Orchards

Me to. Always bought staymans by the box. Kept in the fridge they are hard to beat, but these limbertwigs off the tree were incredible. Only complaint is the size. They are considerably smaller than a stayman so you don’t get that big crunchy explosive bite.

1 Like

The Limbertwigs will last a very long time in storage from my experience. This year I picked them on the early side since I was getting a lot of predation, and they need at least another month before they are optimal.

I found one Brushy Mountain in my storage pile, I forgot I had it. It was picked too early since I knew it was about to get swiped. I had a bit of it and it needs more aging. Some early-picked apples age to be great but more often than not they are not up to ones that stayed on the tree.

3 Likes

I really enjoy the chance to see (and taste) hundreds of Apple varieties at Century Farm Orchards.

It was a real treat to speak with Lee Calhoon or Tom Burford during the open houses in the past.

Especially enjoy the chance to purchase many types of Apples I’m interested in and take them home for closer evaluation. His low spray program gives me an idea of the quality I can expect on my Apples.

5 Likes

Who’s low spray program, one from Century Farm Orchard?

Yep Century Farm Orchards. He has an airblast sprayer and I know he sprays some but not the complete program for our area. He hooked me up with a vendor where I got a good deal on my Rears Air Blast which is similar to his but I have never discussed the specifics of his spray program.

2 Likes

Following up on this, today I ate my sole BMLT apple harvested this year which was picked a bit too early. It was an excellent apple, very flavorful and more clean/rich/carmelly than a Black Limbertwig I ate along with it. If it’s this good picked so early it must be really amazing if picked at the perfect time. I’m going to make a big tree of it, all I have now is a third of a small tree. Note I think whenever it is picked it is a must-store apple, this one needed several months. It was still crisp and was nowhere near the end of its storage life.

8 Likes

You’ve got the magic touch with Brushy LT, Scott. I couldn’t get it to taste better than cardboard no matter when picked or how long stored. Soil/microclimate so powerful on many heirlooms.

1 Like

Or perhaps a mislabeled tree?? Hopefully one day DNA testing will be cheap and available to verify trees.

3 Likes

Thought I’d add some photos from our family’s trip this past Saturday. What a cool experience - taste-testing was a big help in guiding our decisions for purchasing trees. Nothing but great things to say about David and the great operation they run over there. I highly recommend their trees!

17 Likes

Wow! Incredible experience!

2 Likes

I concur with your thoughts on David from my experience as well buying from him in 2019 i believe it was. Any varieties that surprised you or stuck out in particular?

5 Likes

I was there too. Never expected to see so many people.

3 Likes

Man everything we tried was good honestly. The revelation for me was Bramley seedling apple, it was delicious! Super tart, crunchy and juicy. I guess it’s famous for baking in England, but I liked it for fresh eating. No limbertwigs to try unfortunately. Enterprise was better than I expected, great flavor. Florina almost tasted like bubble gum, super good. Arkansas black was delicious fresh eating unlike sooooo much stuff I’ve read, and they were not stored for months they were fresh. Kidds orange red was great, we are growing that one now. King David was amazing and one of our favorites. Liberty was good to eat, and better than expected! We also tried black Oxford, golden russet, Va Winesap, summer banana, goldrush, and Va beauty and they were all just okay.

9 Likes

What was your favorite for taste?

1 Like

Sounds like a great trip. Lots of great apples to try. I have been wanting to go there for years. I have been buying most of my trees from him since I started my orchard. Very knowledgeable and a very nice guy.

Bramley is suppose to cook down to a puree. That is what the Brits like. That is the only reason why I do not have a Bramley tree. You can only eat so many apples like that. IMO.

3 Likes

Probably the King David

4 Likes

That was my reason for not acquiring a Bramley. But it is a favorite of the friend who taught me how to graft.

2 Likes

You might also check Tom Brown out. He offers trees for about fifteen or twenty dollars … I know he cuts the normal price by $5 a tree if you order more than six and let him choose the variety for 50% or more. (His way of getting rare apple discoveries into people’s yards.)

1 Like

Tom Brown has in red type that he is not accepting new inquiries into buying trees in fall 2023.

3 Likes

FYI, as of 11/10 the most current inventory online at Century is dated 11/3 and doesn’t reflect last weekend’s sales of course. Some trees I was thinking about have now sold out. Same way at ACN. Waited too long.

1 Like