Tropical fruits

That sounds delicious! Yes I eat a lot of mango! It’s one of my favorites! Never saw so many mangoes in one place!

Yes, May is a good time for my favorite fruits, but I can get those winter time star apples. I miss the large variety of mangos available. Here is an assortment at the market. I really like the little mangoes. There is even a town named after these little mangoes.

The common mango variety available in Krung Thep is of high quality. I ate a lot of mango sticky rice when I visited.

4 Likes

@clarkinks, hope you will visit one of the countries in southeast Asia one of these days.

I like green mangoes as much as ripe ones. The not-sour green mangoes. I don’t know how to describe in English the taste of this type of green mangoes. It is fun to eat and is very addictive.

1 Like

Chiapas highlands market

Quite the stacking job !

Cashew Apple

5 Likes

really nice. While cashew seeds(nuts) are generally of the same quality, the “cashew apples” seem to vary in quality, and a superb variety is at least as refreshing as a good quality mango.

below is another in the mango/cashew family which is so addictive. Could eat these by the bucket!
*there’s something about edible species within the poison ivy family which is so refreshing…

3 Likes

This is a more obscured fruit. In Thai we call it Ma kam Tate. Can’t find English name. Spanish name guamuchil and is called kamachile in the Phillippines. Looked up Wikipedia. Its origin was from central and south America.

Raf, had you tried them in the Phillippines?
@tonyOmahaz5 and @PharmerDrewee do you have them in Vietnam?

I can eat them by kilos, another fruit that is hard to stop eating them.

3 Likes

Yep. It tasted not too sweet but spongy texture to me. It kinda cute with the flesh busted out of the shell when ripened.

Tony

I’ve never seen this fruit before. What time of the year does it ripen? The shape reminds me of a tamarind, one of my favorite childhood fruit.

It called Trai Keo in Vietnam.

Tony

timthumb

3 Likes

That’s why it is called Makam (tamarind) and add the word Tate to differentiate between the two.

It looks like tamarind but does not taste like it at all. It is like Tony said, somewhat spongy. Green ones can have astringency taste to it. Once the fruit turn pink or even red, they are sweet.

Their season is in April, May but can be available in small amounts about now. In each section, there is one small black seeds. Seeds are not edible but are used like chips in children’s games.

Another favorite fruit in my hometown called Trai Trung Ca , or Muntingia calabura very tasty little fruit. Joel Real also liked it.

images%20(6)

Tony

2 Likes

This is a fun fruit to eat. There used to be a lot of these trees growing by the streets of my hometown as shade trees. We’d pick them as we walk along and snacked. The sticky seeds give it the Vietnamese name “fish egg fruit”.

1 Like

of course @mamuang! We had a huge tree in the boondocks. Difficult to climb as the trunk was large, and the fruit bearing branches were wispy thin. It is actually called manila tamarind by some. Home depot sells it sometimes and is named as is: guamuchil.

you’re right, you’d have to think of it as a nutty produce, and not as a fruity produce. Some varieties are overly-nutty with pronounced bitterness, while some are quite sweet. May also depend on climate conditions around maturity of pods

1 Like

muntingia is one of those trees which need further scientific scrutiny due to its ability to bear fruit growing on rock crevices. It may be a tree but it has epiphytic abilities like orchids, amazingly able to extract nutrients out of solid rocks and hardly any soil. I sometimes suspect it can extract nutrients out of thin air, lol! Perhaps nitrogen.

orchids do grow on rocks and bark, but orchids grow very slowly. Muntingia grows remarkably fast in the same conditions and even bears fruit.

1 Like

@jujubemulberry
(“I sometimes suspect it can extract nutrients out of thin air, lol!”)

Air plant on a wire.

I suspect that bird had something to do with it ?

3 Likes

lol! pineapples are tillandsia cousins. The first bioengineering lab to genetically modify pineapples to perform such high wire circus acts and bear fruits deserves a nobel imo :smile:
definitely takes “vertical farming” to a whole new level

2 Likes

A closer look of Makam Tate. The redder the flesh, the sweeter it tastes. My sister said the season is from the end of Dec to the end of March.

2 Likes

I have one guamuchil tree on pot but she didn’t give fruit yet.

1 Like

I’ll be inteesed in hearing how big your tree will grow. In a suitable environment, it can grow 40-50 ft tall.

Also, there are several varieties. Some are sweet, good eating. Others are spitters. Wish yours is a good one.

1 Like

I will post all the updates here: My small fruit tree orchard

Yes i hope my tree gives good fruits and adapt to weather here! :grin:

1 Like