Turnip greens?

The Southern style are supposed to be cooked to death.

2 Likes

Turnip greens, which are extremely abundant in season, are a good addition to mixed sauerkrauts. Then they will keep a long time. seasonal cycles make me do a lot of krauts with last year apples (and/or squash) and this year’s TG, that is, sauerkrauts without the kraut (cabbage). Lots of vitamins, enzymes, etc.

2 Likes

Hey, let’s not forget rutabagas! aka Swedes or neeps (as in neeps & taties that you eat with haggis!) it originated as a cross between turnip & cabbage.
The greens are easily as tasty as those of turnips, but I vastly prefer a rutabaga root over a turnip. I peel them, dice them, then simmer in chicken bullion with a dollop of butter and a spoonful of brown sugar added.

4 Likes

I grew great rutabagas one year only! The next few years after that I had a terrible time keeping rabbits from eating the tops off as they germinated. The ones that did survive that onslaught got chewed up by Harlequin bugs, I think it was. I need to try them again. I agree with you @Lucky_P , I thought they were much better tasting than turnips!
@murky I guess I shouldn’t be able to screw them up then! Cooked to death fits into my time frame. :wink:

1 Like

That might be worth starting a new topic on fermented veggies?

I like both…but can’t say rutabaga is best.

(ps. Came across a 2010 post of yours on Houzz)

We have had a few threads on fermentation. I do ferment a lot of greens (TG, but also dandelions, the wild variety, komatsuna, cauliflower leaves, plantain, spinach) when they are abundant. The trick to make a good ferment is then to add more sugary veggies to the ferment, since the greens have less sugar than cabbage. Asians do ferment their greens by adding the leftover water after rice is boiled. Good addition to greens in a ferment include apple, pear, squash, carrot, and beet. For apples, the harder they are, the better the ferment, so a good use for those which are not real great as a table apple. Mixed krauts are nature’s free vitamin and enzyme supplement.

2 Likes

A quick question…
do you guys leave the stems on the turnip greens or cut em off?

When I have to clean them myself, I think I keep the rib between the leaves, but lose the stem beyond the leaf portion.

1 Like

awesome… that’s what I did. Thanks! The stems seemed tough and fibrous so I discarded those. I think I have too much liquid, as I didn’t weigh the greens and probably didn’t add enough. They’re still cookin though!

If you’re doing Southern style, and you have more liquid than you want, leave the lid off and let some evaporate while it cooks. But don’t let it go dry. And depending on heat, and your type of pot, there could be risk of scorching the bottom if you don’t stir often enough.

2 Likes

Gottcha. thanks for the tips! I thought I’d take the lid off for the last 15 minutes or so…

2 Likes

Depends on the amount of greens and how hungry I am…but I typically remove the lrgest portion of the stem…in fact if I’m doing the picking the stems probably don’t make it indoors.

Having Kale tonight, not turnip greens. Same general idea.Salt, olive oil, and a little vinegar or mustard.

1 Like

I made the Southern Mixed Greens & Turnips from I HeartRecipes, in @murky’s post above. I used all turnip greens because that’s what I had in my garden.

Mixing in the greens:

Ready to eat:

4 Likes

@KSprairie

In my family we use any type of green like mustard, Polk, beets, collards, cabbage and others with any type of pork like bacon, Sausage, ham. They like to caramelize onions to go with them.

1 Like

My daughter’s favorite take on kale involves stripping the leaves from the ribs, tearing the kale and then massaging rice wine vinegar into it. From there you can go where you like. For us there’s likely to be some garlic, avocado, tomato, torn leftover meat, (if using salmon a couple of very thin lemon slices) some crushed nuts or maybe seeds, a bit of diced apple or pear and if you like, torn up bread or toast. Some Kalamata olives, maybe a diced hard boiled egg, some diced bacon. Finish with evoo.

3 Likes

At least your daughter eats greens! lol

And that sounds like an adventure you have going there.

1 Like

Looks good, just need some rice and vinegar based cayenne hot sauce :slight_smile:

What did you think?

1 Like

Thanks @murky ! I didn’t try the rice and hot sauce, but that does sound really good!
Well, I bummed to say I wasn’t thrilled with my results. Something about the flavor was a bit off for me. There was a spicy background I didn’t care for… either the red pepper or the turnips maybe? I usually like red pepper in anything I add it too so I’m not sure. Next time I will leave out the turnips and red pepper and see if I like it better. And I should buy a bag of mixed greens to compliment the turnip greens. I’ll keep experimenting!
@marknmt - your daughter’s salad sounds very tasty! I think I would really enjoy that (especially when someone else makes it for me) :wink:

2 Likes