Understanding Ploidy and Pollination

Ploidy is the number of sets of chromosomes in a cell Ploidy - Wikipedia. Diploid means 2 sets of chromosomes whereas triploid is 3. So who cares right? We care because triploid trees cannot pollinate other trees. To further complicate pollination if trees are related they likely cannot pollinate each other. Then the last part of the equation is flowering times which may not overlap with certain trees. Many of you know these things already but for those that don’t here is a link to help make sure your trees have a good pollination partner http://www.orangepippintrees.com/pollinationchecker.aspx?a=2. All that being said remember some trees are self pollinating so they need no other tree nearby but typically produce more fruit if another is growing nearby. Then there are bees which is relevant in terms of carrying the pollen from tree to tree. If I left anything out please help me out. I’m far from an expert on the subject though thought maybe I could offer some advice for someone trying to find out why their tree is not producing fruit. All that being said triploid is typically good in other ways such as fruit production, disease resistance etc…

2 Likes

I have looked at this site before, great help for me in making sure I have pollination partners

1 Like

“I could say that pondering plum ploidy pleases me but I won’t.”

Joke previously made by @Bear_with_me. Hilarious!

1 Like