Uneven plum pollinator attractiveness

Our lying freeloaders plum trees are putting on a big show.
This is one of the best flower sets but it was really striking to see that the left tree, (supposed to be a pipestone) was pulling in tons of honeybees and other insects. You could actually hear a hum from them all while standing below it.
On the other hand, the right tree, ( should be Toka) had hardly any action going on.
I’ve consistently had issues with these trees not setting fruit and have added a couple of new, other plums to try and get working pollination but now I wonder if there some sort of insurmountable attractiveness gap between them.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

5 Likes

My gosh, that is an amazing amount of flowers and little fruit set? Wow, I would want to really know the problem. Pollinators? They are beautiful and should be filled with fruit.

2 Likes

Ive noticed this same occurrence. I have two plum trees with a significant amount of flowers on each. However, most pollinators seem to prefer one tree over the other. Though, they are not within as close proximity as your trees. I have tried placing flowering branches from each tree among the other, but the pollinators actively ignored the bouquets at either tree… maybe grafting different varieties will help.

1 Like

Grafting is the next step. I had maybe thought to start trying this year but wasn’t organized enough. It goes on the list for next year!

2 Likes

I noticed the same. Between bavays gage and Mount Royal, Mount Royal won by far. Wonder what the deal is?

1 Like