Unintended Plum Cuttings

Do you have any of those tomato sticks to spare for my tomatoes! :smiley:

Those are 2x2 ash stakes, courtesy of the emerald ash borer.

1 Like

Well, it has been a month and all 13 sticks are going strong. A 14th stick did not take, but I think it was 2 year wood. They all seem to be kicking in with extra growth now. I’m not sure if my Byron gold tree is going to live, but it’s cuttings are thriving.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Have you tasted the variety before?

Not the Byron Gold. It was an impulse/curiosity buy at a big box store. I haven’t been able to find much info on it. I’ve got plenty of room so I thought I’d give it a try. Do you know anything about Byron Gold?

No, I just Googled it based on your post. Sounds good except no mention of sweetness or brix which is a bit of a red flag.

Big box store purchase, lack of positive reports, and developed in the south (I’m north). That’s three strikes. It is supposed to be a Chickasaw hybrid so I thought it was interesting. It has very nice form and some long thorn-like structures. We’ll see how it goes. Those pictures aren’t the Byron Gold, btw.

1 Like

Byron Gold form and it’s cuttings. The tree still passes the scratch test but is my only tree not leafed out.

1 Like

Good thing you did the cuttings.

Well, how did it do?

I’m glad you reminded me. All of the plum cuttings died. Some grew stems 5 or 6 inches tall and I thought there was no way they could do that without roots. After they died in the dry weather I pulled them out to find no roots. The Byrongold tree perked up and looks healthy, though.

Do you still interesting my Yellow plum scions Murky?

Yes, in January fully dormant, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will send out to you at that time.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I have some plum gaps to fill

1 Like

I now have two Hollywood plum trees. One about 5 feet tall, and the other a couple feet. They both bloomed this spring. The short one is in a tree tube, it got transplanted this winter. The bigger one a ear earlier. It poked out of the 5’ tube, so it got a cage and I’m trying to train down some of the branches.

I poked some of its prunings in the ground. There are a couple that still look reasonably promising. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Hollywood seems especially good at growing from dormantcuttings. I’ve done a couple of others that way too. I have several Hollywood plum trees, and a couple of other plums on Hollywood rootstock. The seem to stay at a nice size, too.

I have three Hollywood plum bench grafts that I am hoping will survive. They seem to be doing better than the other varieties. However, none of my bench grafts seem to really be taking off. I have about 4 Inch worth of Hollywood scion remaining. After seeing your success with cuttings, I am now considering trying to root it.

I have a hollywood plum that I purchased in 2020. I’m just about to prune it for this year, and I saw this thread. I’ll probably stick some of the cuttings into the ground to see if they grow!

For those of you who have done this with hollywood plums (@Bear_with_me , @murky), have you used the hollywood plum as a rootstock to graft other things onto?

Reading up on this forum, I saw that Adara can act as an almost universal rootstock/interstem: Adara (Puente) Plum - Fruit tree, rootstock & interstem - General Fruit Growing - Growing Fruit. It seemed like some of the discussion was that Adara is a P. Cerasifera, like Myrobalan, which is why they make such good rootstocks and interstems.

Since Hollywood is also a P. Cerasifera, could it also be used as a universal rootsock? In a year or two, could i graft peaches, euro plums, cherries, etc., onto my hollywood cuttings (or onto my original hollywood tree)?

I’ll probably graft my smaller Hollywood to Japanese plum or pluot. I haven’t done it yet. Bear_with_me has grafted several things to it in the past.