Urgent

Don’t forget your role of wire and insulators , poles whatever you need. The first time he gets electrocuted he will stop thinking about food. The raccoons hate me but they don’t mess with me. Dogs are great to the other night mine went after something in the dark.

1 Like

Alright :slight_smile:

That’s our problem here. We’re close enough to the woods to have racoons, deer and the occasional black bear (and now there is a grizzly family within a few miles!) but it seems like there’s never a coyote sighting, the last fox we had got trapped, apparently, and the raptors prefer to hunt out of town. Haven’t seen a black snake or bull snake since I’ve been here … so the rodents do like rodents do.

1 Like

@marknmt

Yes if any part of the food web is broken it leads to problems. A squirell hitched a ride here from the city. She had lots of nerve until sun down then she ran all night im sure. The coyotes are on the ground and owls are in the trees it must have been a long night until daylight. Lucky for her I had 1 resident squirell who took pity on her. They have 2 choices move away from my property into the thick woods or fight the predators. A rodent here has limited time they will find them. A house cat is not safe here. My small dog has been mouthed before after dark she was covered in slobber by the time the other dog and I caught up. She doesn’t go out on her own away from me any more.

@Palmy_Oceans

BTW my sister has a trick you might need to know. She caught many skunks in her traps. How do you release an angry skunk? In her case she threw a blanket over his head. I suspect she tied a rope in the corner before and hid around the side of the building and yanked the rope. When I saw her I said how is the dog food thief hunt coming and she said I caught another skunk no doubt where the term skunked came from im sure. Since she didn’t smell like skunk I asked why and she told me she threw a blanket over the cage or skunk. She calmed them down and no spraying occurred. A chipmunk wouldn’t stand a chance against a heavy blanket. Since we grew up together we all knew the blanket trick but I never would have considered trying it on a skunk like she did.

1 Like

Wow that’s really cool, especially a skunk. I wouldn’t even get in a 10 ft range from it. Alright I saw one close to me wandering, quickly sped away from it.

1 Like

@Palmy_Oceans

Ever saw a calf roping competition? It’s easier with a blanket still requires the rope. Gunny sack and that grabber works to but he’s going to be mad.

1 Like

That’s still a cool trick… simple enough

1 Like

Just get a good pellet rifle. When I first moved into my current house I was months before I saw the first squirrel. I went out and that thing bolted as if the four horsemen of the apocalypse were after it, and that from a distance. I later found out that the next door neighbor plinks them with a pellet rifle. They are smart, they know better that to come around or stick around, food or no food.

4 Likes

Order you some garter snakes and let them go in the woods. I’ve got several that call my yard home and haven’t seen a field mouse in 3 years.

4 Likes

Yes, chipmunks can climb as high as they want to.

1 Like

Why do you have so much netting on this tree?

So, did you get it free?

1 Like

Yes, it was super weak and very disoriented, hopefully wasn’t rabies but I think because it was super hungry

2 Likes

For cherry, against the birds

Highly unlikely. It was just extremely stressed and possibly dehydrated. When we’ve taken away uninjured ones from our cats, they would tend to act disoriented, walking on their front legs and seeming uncoordinated and out of it, but in a minute or so they’d recover and take off. If you ever have to pick one up, scruff them. Don’t pick them up by the tail: the skin comes off very readily.

3 Likes

My cat kills/eats about a chipmunk every other day during the late spring-early fall.

This thread was good for a few chuckles.

2 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

Glad the chipmunk is free but yes some of my questions had quite obvious answers :wink:

1 Like

Seems like an elaborate netting system probably likely to catch more chipmunks and birds.

1 Like

Protecting your fruit is a problem because of the fact the natural system is broken there. Here none of this is even an issue. These are new times everywhere perhaps there are more things like this coming. Was just woke up due to neighbors dogs and coyotes announcement that a predator was outside. That could be man or other large predator. Something was out there tonight thats not supposed to be there. The neighbors cows claimed they had not been fed. Another dog barked protecting its territory from an unknown invader. Would like the chipmunk problem tonight.