Valdosta Mulberry

Anyone grow or know about this variety? I can’t find much more than what’s on Just Fruits description. Looks like a pretty big mulberry.

3 Likes

Looks interesting but I’ve never heard of it before.

Hi there. I planted it but haven’t tasted the fruit yet. They ripened when I was on vacation, so the birds got them all. It is very vigorous and looks like it’ll turn into a tree. The leaves are very large, larger than pakistan mulberry leaves.

4 Likes

How is your tree coming along? I’m still looking at getting this one. Would love some pictures if you ever get a chance. There’s no information outside this post and Just Fruits’ small bit of information on the fruit size.

Hi there. Mine wouldn’t stop growing late into the season last year and ended up having some tips burnt during the winter. It’s coming back though. I’ll snap a picture when I get a chance. Looks like JF is the only supplier.

1 Like

My VM cuttings got some molds while in the frig but I try to root them any way. I think they are toasted. Z 7A and up has to be in a pot anyway. My White Pakistan mulb grafts took and putting out lots of berries right now. looks like a winner!

2 Likes

Did you have success with the Thai dwarf?? That one is fruiting for me now.

Yup. The Thai cuttings are looking good with some berries on them!! Will see if there are sweet or tart!

1 Like

I just grafted White Pakistan just last week. I hope it does well!

1 Like

The White Pakistan is great. Mine was loaded this year.

2 Likes

Can you describe the taste? The gentleman that swapped the cuttings with me said it tasted like Honey melon.

I wouldn’t say honey sweet, but they were sweet. Dry, not juicy. Looked like we were growing caterpillars for a while. Wish I could put the sucker in the ground and get a better harvest, but they break buds too early.

2 Likes

Still have a few fruits. Just yanked a small one off. Very sweet. That melon taste may be what some folks describe as “grassy” with the white mulberries. So good though! Mine has a ton of ladybugs on it. Not sure what they’re snacking on, but they’re going to town. Mine came from Trees of Antiquity just fyi.

2 Likes

Pakistan mulberry looks good

4 Likes

Thats my next mulberry for sure, white pakistan/saharanpur

2 Likes

White Pakistan puts out a ton of fruit per bit of branch, that’s for sure. Here’s mine much earlier in the season.

7 Likes

Niiiice

Looks like I may be able to try Valdosta this year. It’s forming a few mulberries currently.

3 Likes

Great to see your success! My tree got ran over by a riding mower when I went on vacation. I have no idea how the guy knocked it down since it grew reasonably since last year. It didn’t survive the trauma.

Oh no! Well, if it ever gets up to size, I’ll remember to save you some cuttings.

1 Like