Verry Cherry plums

Speedster,

You are right. I ate three of them and they are real sweet with a plum flavor. I will stratify some seeds.

Tony

4 Likes

They finally showed up at my store. I tried one on the way home. They must not be ripe yet. It had a very sour skin with flesh that taste just like a plum. It wasn’t that sweet.

1 Like

My seedling Verry cherry plum.

2 Likes

I thought that the seeds were sterile? Is that a seed from the fruit that germinated?

1 Like

Yes. I kept the seeds in soil outside throught winter.

1 Like

I kept some too, but them dumped them outside the garage in the dirt. They were in my fridge with some peach pits that got moldy. I’m going to see what they look like now. Have you compared the leaves to the very cherry?

1 Like

I had a couple germinated but squirrels broke 1. I will plant some more this year John. Keep your seed in soil and water them let see how they doing.

I just put them in a pot. I cracked the shells and planted the seeds along with the peaches. The seeds all look good. Like flat almonds. There was no mold on the inside of the shells.

1 Like

This is what a Nadia sapling looks like. It is about 32 inches tall. The stems are dark like your seedling and Splash pluot. The leaves are very different from its parents, sort of a mash up between cherry, apricot and plum. Keep growing those seeds out, who knows what kind of fruit we might have from them. I plan on doing this every year. Double click photo to enlarge, soil solarization experiment in the background. .

5 Likes

I was wondering how your Very Cherry seedling is doing? I just tried this fruit from the grocery store and I love the taste and texture. I told my husband to keep the seeds to see if we could grow a tree. Would like to know how long you have been growing it and what type of soil. I live in Northern Virginia zone 7a with clay and shale soil.

1 Like

Hi Elizabeth.
My verry cherry plum doing well. I only water and no fertilizer or do anything. I just seedling in normal topping soil keep outside through winter. It is about 2 1/2 feet now , still in container . Tomorrow morning I will load its picture here and you will take a look. I don’t really know for sure what type of soil is good if your areas have Japanese plum and cherry I think be ok or we have a lot of fruit grower experts here will give you some ideas . Good luck for seedling Elizabeth. Vincent

1 Like

My half year old seedling verry cherry plum now over 2 1/2 ft tall.

2 Likes

Not yet , I think its too small for grafting .

Verry cherry plum is okay and leaves out after very extremely cold Winter.

As it on July 18.2019 my seedling Verry Cherry Plum 1 year later picture below. ( moved to 3 gallons container. Gave it 16-16-16 fertilizer 2 times in Spring 2019 and cut all bottomed branches off )

7 Likes

Are the leaves more like a cherry or like a plum or like Nadia?

2 Likes

These ones are the seedling. So they might only 50 percent similar to their parents. Their leaves look like European plum and Asian plum and cherry together. But they have smaller size leaves . You can see more clearly on a small tree picture above. Nadia leaves look more like Japanese Plum. I just brought them out to better sunny area from the shade area causing them have some leafed aphids now . I don’t like to use chemical spray on them.

5 Likes

Sure am glad you guys bumped this up, as I had never heard of them. Been looking for some good plums this year, as it was a bad year for the locally grown ones. Didn’t find any locally at Walmart/Sams but I did find one Sams that had them about an hour away. Had to go there today for business, so just got back with 3 bags. These are very sweet and have a good plum flavor. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for these in the future…

5 Likes

I wonder if these are the same Plum,as in this topic.Probably not,but they are interesting,as are some of their other things.
It looks like they sell out fast.bb
https://felixgillet.org/store/Very-Cherry-Plum-p150099759

2 Likes

Is there an update on how the very cherry plum tree is doing?

1 Like

My Verry Cherry plum (7.12.20) Over 4ft tall.

7 Likes