Von Blackberry

I planted some Von blackberries last spring so this my first experience with them fruiting, or rather a lack of fruiting. It appears that 90% or so of the flowers failed to fruit, or only partially fruited. The other 3 varieties planted (Osage, Ouachita, and Natchez) are fruiting as expected.

I’ll insert a picture below with the hope that someone can explain what is going on with the Von plants. Was it a pollination issue or something else?

Thanks

1 Like

Any luck with them this year?

I planted a couple von two year ago they fruited well for me this summer. Good taste

2 Likes

Yes, this season was very good for Von as well as the other varieties. It was clear that Von fruits later than the others and has a more extended fruiting period.

I don’t know if this will be true every season, but the best tasting berries this summer were off of Von. Not that Von was better overall, but when fully ripe I was often surprised how good they were.

2 Likes

Good to hear, thanks!

In my shipment of Ponca from Ison’s I also received 2 Von blackberries. They are about 1 week behind the Poncas in breaking dormancy indoors.

1 Like