Warren Pear in Vista CA

Here’s our Warren Pear that arrived bareroot 5 days ago from Trees of Antiquity. I’m not ready to plant it at its new location but the daytime temperatures in the 50-60°F range will cause it to start budding soon. So I’ve potted it in this #15 tub, using 1 part all-purpose sand and 2 parts Kelloggs Patio Mix by volume plus about a half inch of 1/4" Sequoia Orchid Bark on top to slow down moisture evaporation from the soil.

7 Likes

Broke dormancy today.

3 Likes

Now fully leafed out and carrying fruit sets.

8 Likes

Wow, instant Warren pears!

3 Likes

Trees of Antiquity:

Rootstock: OHxF 333

3 Likes

Thanks for the pearl. I sense a future ToA order.

2 Likes

I suggest you thin the fruitlets to one per cluster.

2 Likes

@Richard

You will enjoy them very much! Everyone told me warren was delayed fruiting but that was not my experience either. Have had more trouble with magness being very delayed in fruiting than warren. Got pears off magness once or twice that tasted identical to warren but the crop was not as heavy. Normally i would think there was a mixup but i received 4 different sources of magness with the same results every time. In other locations people report the opposite. In my climate warren is very much worth growing.

1 Like

Currently $4.95 at OGW:

2 Likes

Looks like our comrade 39thparallel has some too.

3 Likes

4/28. The tree did an excellent job of self-thinning this year. I’m going to remove the remainders though in favor of trunk and scaffolding development.

2 Likes