Watermelon & Melon -- 2021 Season

Clint,
What are you using for weed control with that many melons?

2 Likes

Lots of tilling and hoeing and weed pulling. Clethodim in one area that gets lots of grasses this year. I might try some weed barrier fabric eventually, but I already have a lot of mice in one spot.

2 Likes

I’ve got orangeglo (based on the recommendations from this board), shiny boy and Silver Yamato. Also got an unknown muskmelon variety that my family has been saving seeds from. It’s quite good, and has a netted version and a non-netted version.
Seeds are already planted, in the ground and germinated. I hope to have muskmelon flowers soon! (Yay Texas!)

3 Likes

I’m also thinking about using preen this year after plants are established to try and keep the pigweeds at bay. I bought a 5 gallon bucket from Sam’s club. I’m sure there are generic cheeper options with the same active ingredient. Anyone else have good luck with this for controlling weeds in their melon patch?

2 Likes

Been extremely busy this year. Melons are getting close. I am about 10 days out from 1st picking. Melons are sizing up well this year.

15 Likes

@Stephen03 , those look great. My plants are way behind yours, I don’t even have any little melons yet.

1 Like

I’m so jealous. My watermelons are just now forming female flowers. It’s going to be a month at least before I get anything.

How do you determine if a watermelon is ripe before picking? After looking at a few videos I’m still unsure as to when to pick. The stem started drying a couple of days ago. Any replies are welcome.

Sugar Baby
sugar baby stem 20210702_155757

1 Like

The under side should turn yellow.

1 Like

Thanks Ray

1 Like

Now that is what I call a real watermelon patch. Hope you have some help hauling them out.

1 Like

Yes, I have some teenagers I put to work. I have been burning it at both ends the last 2 weeks picking.

1 Like

Have any of you that grow big stripe and orangeglo done any Brix testing on them

1 Like

Good Orangeglo can get brix up to 12 (mine was). I gave up growing it because the picking window is very narrow: a week too early, not sweet enough and a week too late, mushy.

Too fussy to my liking.

1 Like

@Stephen03 , how did the watermelons taste? Shoot me a PM regarding where you’re selling them. I’ve got two buddies in the area that haven’t tasted a real watermelon in years.

1 Like

They are phenomenal even though we have had a raining year, Brix on my red melons are running 13-15. My goldstrike are running around 13.

11 Likes

That looks like perfection!

1 Like

Anyone else doing anything with melons this year? Looks as if @Stephen03 has already succeeded.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to pick my first ones within the next two weeks.

3 Likes

Mine are doing great and putting on a lot of melons, but got them planted late and it will be a while on mine.

2 Likes