Watermelon & Melon -- 2021 Season

I’ve posted this before, but there are a few common signs watermelons are ripe.

Feel of the surface of the watermelon, lumpy/bumpy means ripe, smooth means not ripe. Caution that some commercial varieties have been bred to have a smooth surface even when ripe. Dixielee is an example of smooth surface.

Listen to it. When thumped, a ripe watermelon makes a dull thud while unripe has a higher pitch. Overripe watermelons are both dull and somewhat watery sounding. Just right has a distinctive thud.

Check the ground spot for size. It may be orange or yellow or white, color does not matter, what matters is how big is the ground spot. This is one time when large size matters. :slight_smile:

Heft the watermelon. A ripe watermelon has a distinct “heavy” feel that can be detected with experience.

If picking in the field, there is a tendril on the vine next to the node where the watermelon is attached. A dark brown tendril usually means a ripe watermelon. The entire tendril should be brown all the way to where it attaches to the stem, not just the curled part. Usually it will be darkest further from the stem.

Once picked from the vine, a watermelon stops ripening and stops accumulating sugar. If it is picked underripe, it will not improve during the usual 1 to 2 weeks in shipping before it shows up in stores. If picked perfectly ripe, it will deteriorate a tad but still be in good condition to eat. If picked even a tiny bit overripe, it will be in bad shape by the time it is sold.

6 Likes

Can anyone tell me why some watermelons stop developing and shrinking away?

My Crimson Sweet set 5 melons around the same time. After a week, two of them stop growing and start shrinking (definitely goners). The other three are growing well. Just would like to find out what causing this?

2 Likes

I see the same behavior. In some cases, it’s pill bugs or the likes, biting a bit that causes them to abort. In other cases, for no other reason. I end up getting two watermelons per vine which is all I want it to do anyway.

I had a few shrink and wither but most were okay. On the plus side I see some that are beautiful in the background.

How do you keep your watermelon patch free of weeds? strong work!

It looks like either lack of water or either the plant has too many fruit on it. Watermelons will push fruit off once it has more fruit than it can support.

2 Likes

@Stephen03 - we have more rain than we care for. I agree that the plant aborted the fruit it can’t carry.

@bleedingdirt and @Auburn thank you for your responses.

@tonyOmahaz5 those plants are in an are where I mulched. In some areas, grass is up to my knees. But I won’t show that :joy:

Anyone grows Georgia RattleSnake watermelons. My experience is not good. The plant does not want to hold on to the fruit!!

1 Like

I’m trying Geargia Rattlesnake for the first time this year. It has been a shy bearer for me too as was Moon and Stars last year. Orangeglo is way more productive for me. Next year, I’m only planting that one variety!

2 Likes

I also grow Charleston Gray which I like and is productive.
@thecityman recommended it.

1 Like

I picked my first two melons yesterday evening.

This Georgia Rattlesnake came in at just shy of 23 lbs. Great taste. Nice big seeds that are easy to remove. My son loves it.

This Orange Krush came in at 16.5 lbs. Had I only picked the GA Rattlesnake, I would have reveled in its glories regarding flavor. But once I tasted this one, it was all over. Yet again, I have confirmed that I really prefer the orange-fleshed varieties, all else being equal.

I’m hoping to pick a SummerFlavor 720 and a Sangria this weekend. Right now it appears that the other two varieties above have proven more productive thus far. But I’ve got about four weeks of picking ahead of me.

One thing I did differently this summer was not thin the plants to one per every two feet. I have two plants per two feet, so the melons aren’t as large as in previous years. I for one prefer 40-50 lb watermelons, but I am in the distinct minority there—both in my household (i.e., wrt my wife) and in the neighborhood when offering the fruit to the neighbors.

12 Likes

Looks yum! My Orangeglo is about a week or so away I think

10 Likes

That looks great! Those OrangeGlo border on the divine!

I’ve never grown a Congo and it looks a bit odd. Several have a pointed stem ends. The melon itself is pretty good especially for all the rain we have gotten. The rind is thick and after you remove it you have lost a lot of melon. Oh well this is my melon learning year.

4 Likes

Poorly shaped watermelons usually means lack of pollination. My experience growing Congo over a lot of years is that it is a bit more sensitive to pollination problems.

There are several “don’t do this” showing up in this thread.

1. Don’t plant too thick. If you want smaller watermelons, plant a genetically smaller variety.
  2. Don’t underestimate the value of pollinators. Watermelon flowers need dozens of visits by pollinators.
  3. Don’t over-fertilize watermelons. Too much nitrogen causes white streaks and off flavors.
  4. Don’t expect superb flavor from a genetically poor flavored watermelon.
  5. Don’t pick too soon. Eating under-ripe watermelon is a lot like eating a green apple, tart and bitter.
5 Likes

I will go with#5. Wait until the bottom part of the watermelon turns golden yellow then pick it just right.

Happens to my watermelons too, it seems they sometime push out too many fruit to support then aborts some. My lemon tree does the same thing, self aborts some fruit

Thanks

Actually, let me just ask here. Isn’t this about 2 weeks away from being ripe? The tendril is green all the way.

6 Likes

I grew some orangeglo this year. I let the tendril die on them and then wait another 3 or 4 days. This may not work for you because our climates are different. The things I noticed with the orangeglo is it will become rigid, have a nice deep thump, and orange stripe on bottom besides dead tendril.

1 Like

Here are some pictures of a few of my melons this season. Overall had a good year, but lost some yield to the extremely rainy season. My technique for growing, I have found that my melons taste just as sweet in a wet year as an dry year.

20 Likes