What animal would eat a gooseberry shrub and a blackberry?

Smething ate one of my goosberries down to the roots, and eliminated all signs of a small kiowa blackberry. I’m guessing deer but haven’t had any other signs on more loved food sources. Anything else that likes thorny plants???

Goats?

1 Like

Last year wild rabbits ate almost to the ground one of my big old evergreen Euonymus shrubs ( I was o.k. with that one), but a week ago - half of my newly planted Silverberry bush (Elaeagnus Commutata) was eaten and some of newly planted sour cherry bushes were “pruned” by these rabbits. I wouldn’t be surprised if they eat thorny bushes, looks like these creatures eat everything. Rabbits eat thorny rose bushes, they actually love them. If they eat rose bushes - why not other bushes, especially berry bushes

2 Likes

Rabbits ate my thornless blackberry but not any of my raspberries and blackberries with thorns. Left all of my 8 gooseberries and currants (all have thorns), except for one at the end of the row which they demolished. Seems that they try to avoid plants with the thorns but there are some plants with thorns that they like.

1 Like

This summer I had horrible damage to all my plants for some reason. Some animals came in a nibbled on the cherry in the front, ate part of the peaches on the front, got about all of my peaches in the back to half the height, chewed up my hydrangea and finally chewed up my raspberries. In my experience even though they say deer resistant animals still get to them. We still don’t know what was actually eating them because it all happened at night when we were sleeping.

1 Like

I’ve seen a few shoot tip bites on gooseberries from deer, but not much beyond that. This is in my yard which has constant deer pressure. I think Blueberry may be on the right track, goats or cows or horses.

1 Like

They eat EVERYTHING! That including poison ivy, thank goodness.

1 Like