What are you dreaming of ordering for 2021?

I currently have on order for this coming year:
-Rainier Cherry
-Flavor King Pluot (2x)
-Flavor Supreme Pluot
-Gold dust peach
-Loring peach
-Rio Oso peach
-Indian Free peach
-Arctic supreme peach
-Strawberry free peach
-Snow beauty peach
-White lady peach
-Baby Crawford peach

I am planning a raised bed of red chief strawberries. Also going to add two more varieties of blueberries to my 2020 collection and round it out from 4 varieties to 6. I have decided one variety will be Cara’s choice blueberry. Not sure on the other, but I’m open to suggestions. I’ll probably fall down the rabbit hole as winter progresses and pick up a few new fig varieties to try.

3 Likes

I am dreaming of delivery of the following:
Sprouts sunshine plum
Fofonoff
Ivanovka Plum
Mirabelle plum(second try)
Green Gage plum(second try)
Sunrise apple
Boreal Beauty Haskap - It is supposed to be the pollinator of choice for the late harvesting U of S haskaps. I was shorted last year and found it hard to replace.
American plum - you can’t have too many pollinators
I am not short on land, but I am running out of well protected spaces to plant my trees. I don’t suspect that will stop me from ordering a few more. European plums hardy to zone 4 will definitely get me to open the wallet again.

3 Likes

I am thinking… must not order trees…I have too many trees. But who knows I may order a few. But I think I really should let some of newer trees fruit first.

6 Likes

I was dreaming of ordering this Plum,but woke up after finding out the shipping was over $50.Maybe I’ll visit them sometime.
https://felixgillet.org/store/Guava-Plum-p153048083

6 Likes

I’ve already purchased most of what 2021 will bring for me outside of vegetables. Still have a few more trees and berries on the horizon but heres what we got coming so far.

-Avalon Peach
-Red Haven Peach
-Spice Zee Nectaplum
-Rainier Cherry
-Shenandoah Pawpaw
-Susquehanna Pawpaw
-Peacottum
-Flavor Punch Pluerry
-Combination 4 in 1 Pluot
-Breda Giant Medlar
-Monstrueuse de Evreinoff Medlar

Really thinking about a Suazee King White Nectarine, Tri-Light Peach Plum, and some other varieties of pawpaws. I really want to do a few Euro plums but space is gettting sparce.

1 Like

Oh man,

Their shipping is extremely outrageous to much of the country though

Scott

I have kawaii and another of the other japanese honeyberries evading my memory and they have done very well in my dry z5a. So far my schizandra berry has been really slow growing and hope it makes it through this winter as it was not especially happy before the snap frosts.

@Bradybb You had me at guava, does anyone have any idea how hardy this thing would be or when it blooms? The internet says most cherry plums are z5-9 but some down to say z3 but coming from newcastle (i assume oregon over california?) I wonder what its hardiness is?

To be fair everyone shipping is nuts right now and only going to get worse (most likely) and at least that purchase goes towards preserving and saving more genetic material for the next generation of fruit entrepreneurs

3 Likes

I’m resolving next year to take better care of the trees I already have rather than order new ones. A “Grainger” hickory and a “Mitchell” buartnut are the only two I’m adding.

3 Likes

Marc -
Try David Vernon at Century Farms. I bought 2 dwarf apples from him this past spring. Here is the website to check out the many many varieties he offers . . .
www.centuryfarmorchards.com](http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/
David was very helpful when I called. The 2 dwarf apples that I received were nice little trees - and have done well through their first summer in the ground. I bought a King David and an Aunt Rachel. Good Luck! - Karen

2 Likes

Hi Karen:

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. Canada is not quite as fussy as New Zealand (my mate paid a fine of $100 U.S. for bringing an apple into the country…) but I doubt that U.S. nurseries accept to ship to Canada… Must be a huge headache for both parties. From what I read in many U.S. nurseries Internet sites they even don’t ship to certain States… I found this policy to be weird but it probably has to do with agricultural rules… I don’t see the problem of shipping a persimmon tree from N.C. To California but there must be one… Marc

2 Likes

Turn those areas under your trees into a food forest ecosystem! Get some nitrogen fixers nearby and lower level vegetation you can cut to put in place mulch material for your trees.

2 Likes

That is the greatest ‘handle’ or screen name, Cuckoo! Love it!

2 Likes

Yeah, California knows everything about everything… :rofl:

I have a lot of other projects planned such as pears, apples, persimmons, etc, but one I am really looking forward to is putting some mushroom trees down near the spring at the back of my home. I’d love to have an abundance for the picking next summer.

3 Likes

I am planning to add a veritable forest to our once “pristine” front and backyard savannas. I’ll be curious to see how much more the neighbors cut their grass since I’ve removed most of mine.
KSU Chapell pawpaw
Marshmallow pawpaw
Geraldi’s Dwarf mulberry
Horn’s White pawpaw
Nyomi’s Delicious pawpaw
Jerry’s Big Girl pawpaw
SO jujube (porch potted near my HJ)
Nugget hops
Cascade hops
Brewers Gold hops
Centennial hops
2- TBD highly disease resistant apples (will probably try to graft for the first time!)
As I’ve seen others listing rootstock on their to get lists here, should I be getting scions to put on mine the same year or let the rootstock develop for a period of time first?

6 Likes

California grows much of the nations fruit/vegetables/nuts. Strict restrictions are to prevent the spread of pests and diseases to their crops. Look what citrus greening has done to citrus farmers in Florida.

1 Like

Same time works great for me. Graft scion to (bare root) rootstock, then plant in a 2gal or so pot. Keep it throughout the summer somewhere where you can easily get water to it. I’ve had some approaching 6’ by end of summer. Put in the ground that fall.

2 Likes

Darrel, I have been to a few homesteading talks at the Mother Earth News festival at Seven Springs in PA that have had presentations including mushroom growing. It seems like a very low maintenance, high reward project as long as you use the right wood (and not old wood that has a load of other fungus already in it), and keep the logs at the proper moisture level and in low light.

Thanks for the tips Wendell!!! I would not have thought to pot them until fall, but that makes a lot of sense after remembering that is how the nursery I go to has things set up. Now I just need to make up my mind on varieties!

Sounds like you’ve done better than I have at pushing growth. But, it’s been such a busy year, and adding fertilizer hasn’t been on the top of my list very often.
I have everything between 4 inches and about 5 feet of growth on grafts completed spring 2020. The most vigorous ones were on rootstocks from the year before where the graft failed and I re-grafted. (Which is a vote for growing the rootstock to get faster growth…but you’ve lost a year, so…)