What are you dreaming of ordering for 2021?

I just checked, and they take cards. I logged in and went through checkout, and payment comes up after shipping options. CC is one of the options. Maybe you need to create an account to do it.

1 Like

Just in case you thought I’d lost interest in fruit growing, here is my order I placed this week!

PEACHES
Color Cling/freestone Chill hrs Days b4 Elberta
Flavorich Y Cling 700 64
FlordaRio Y Semi-Free 400 62
Gulfking** Y Cling 350 57
Flordacrest Y Semi-Free 425 55
Coronet N Y Free 750 39
Big Red Y Free 750 22
Sunny J Y Free 850 30
Parade Y Free 800 30
Fairtime Y Free 750 35
Autumnprince Y Free 800 45
Sweet Sue Y Free 750 17
Big Red II Y Free 850 18
Big Red Y Free 750 22
Sunny J Y Free 850 30
Fairtime Y Free 750 35
Autumnprince Y Free 800 45

PLUMS

.        COLOR  Selffert?b4 Santa Rosa  Rootstock    Bloom date in GA             
A.U. Amber R-P/Y-Amber Y -4 G&R 5/28
Shiro Y-G/Y N -2 G&R 6/5

Apricots

Moonpark Y

Apples

Arkansas Black x x
Pink Lady x x x
Anna x
Dorsett Golden x

I ordered all the above and so I just cut and pasted from my order- sorry it looks a little strange.
These are all from Vaughn. They said they may not have the apples, though. I want all of you to know that the owner himself called me and left a message saying he wanted to thank the people from this forum for their support. I have mentioned this forum in past orders. invited him to join, and told him most people here have had good experiences. He remembered that and so when he saw my order this year he took time to call and say thanks. I thought that was extremely impressive.

As you may know, their prices are pretty much wholesale and less than all others, but they don’t seem to like doing orders of just a few trees. And who can blame them- their margins have to be razor thin and postage is done at cost so how can they spend the time and effort required to grow, graft, dig, package and ship 3 trees that they sell for $8.50? Thats a ton of work to make what, $3 per tree or $9 for a full order of trees they grew for a year. All that being said, I’ve found they will often do small orders (less than 10) as a customer service effort with the hopes that you’ll tell others or come back and place a bigger order next time. But lets be honest, you can order 10 trees from them for the cost of 3 trees at many online nurseries, so why not order 10. squeeze them in, plant them in a vacant lot somewhere, or just be a Johnny appleseed (Johnny apple-tree) and slip them into local parks. woods, interstate right-of-ways, etc. haha.

All this is to say that Vaughns is a great place in my experience and go out of their way to try and accommodate even small growers like us. Try not to take advantage by begging for 2-3 trees at $8 each, but it sure is nice having a place that sells good trees in that range. Knowing they appreciate all of us is nice too, so please mention that you saw them on this site if you place an order.

Now how about all my new trees???!!! ha

16 Likes

Against my better judgement, I placed an order with Indiana Berry. No tree orders this year as I already have 10 potted apples that will be planted in the spring.

Here’s what I ordered from IB today-

Blackberries- Ponca (2), Caddo, Natchez

Raspberry- Joan J

Heard a lot of good things about the new Ponca variety, so thought I’d give them a try before they sold out. Caddo is another touted new variety, Natchez a bit older. The Joan J was a replacement for one that didn’t come up a couple years ago.

That is all.

5 Likes

I have filled out a cart a couple times this year at a few places (Burnt Ridge, Indiana Berry, Ison’s) but given my space restrictions I can’t see myself clicking order… I am still on the lookout for a poncirus trifolata “snow dragon” and a couple other interesting things, though. I’ll be just grafting this spring instead…

If I found that variagated cortorted poncirus again (I lost one last spring to a cable guy’s boot) I’d order it on the spot.

Scott

1 Like

I was too late on getting the Rappahannock and Allegheny pawpaws I wanted.

I was hoping to get my hands on some Bud 490 rootstock scionwood from the USDA apple germplasm repository but got an email saying they weren’t sending out anything this spring due to a fireblight outbreak in the collection :frowning: I haven’t been able to find it anywhere else.

1 Like

I’m trying to finish out my plum mini orchard this year. The idea being to get all the trees in, spaced and mulched, and throw a deer fence around it. Edited to add:
Existing plums: Toka, Emerald Beaut.
Ordered: Au Rubrum, Au Cherry, Palamino, Spring Satin.
And some peaches/ nectarines followed me home: Karla Rose, Redgold, Flavorich, Winblo, July Prince, Nectar, and Indian Cling.

1 Like

Its so funny how we all do the same things! For reasons only people here can understand, I, too, quite often go to the various nurseries and pick out the trees I’d love to have, putting them in my cart where I occasionally come back and just look at. haha. Knowing full well I’m probably never going to pull the trigger and place the order. Some people love to window shop without buying, we love to computer shop without buying. Seems like rational behavior, right? Right!? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have already planted Flavor Grenade pluot from groworganic, and have received some scion already.
I cancelled my larger order with Raintree when they flaked on FG pluot tree. It is the third time in two years that they have flaked, or sent me the wrong tree. I went to Burntridge instead, but they do not carry nectaplum.
Arrived:
Flavor Grenade pluot/Citation
Wynoochee Early apple scion
Melrose apple scion
Seckel pear scion
Honeysweet pear scion
Reina Victoria plum scion
White Genoa fig scion x 2
Negronne fig scion x2
Ronde de Bordeaux fig scion
Swedish White currant scion
On Order:
Candy Heart pluerry/Citation
Green Gage plum/Marianna 2624
Rosey Gage plum/Krymsk 1
AU Rosa plum/Myrobalan
Earliblue blueberry
Chandler blueberry
Aurora blueberry
Early Italian plum scion x2
Green Gage plum scion
Hollywood plum scion
OHxF 333 rootstock x 4
OHxF 87 rootstock x 4
Geneva 969 rootstock x 8
Krymsk 1 roootstock x 7
Marianna 2624 rootstock x 4
Joan J raspberry x 5
I was going to order a Saijo persimmon, but I want to wait for a good American type. Maybe next year. I don’t have enough room anymore to order whatever comes to mind.

7 Likes

I have the following already ordered/coming this year:

Apricot apple
Arabskoe Apple
Aroostook Sunset Apple
Ashmead’s Kernel Apple
Bullock Apple
Calville Blanc d’Hiver Apple
Cherry cox apple
Cherryfield Apple
Chestnut Apple
Cora’s Grand Greening Apple
Cox’s Orange Pippin Apple
Deane Apple
Drap d’Or Apple
Early Strawberry Apple
Fameuse apple
Golden Russet Apple
Kavanagh Apple
Kennebec Russet Apple
King David Apple
Krameri Tuvioun Apple
Martha Crab Apple
Munson Sweet Apple
Nodhead Apple
Opalescent Apple
Pipsqueak Apple
Pomme Grise Apple
Red Astrachan Apple
Red Blaze Apple
Rhode Island Greening Apple
Ribston Pippin Apple
Richmond Pink Apple
Roxbury Russet Apple
Spice Sweet Apple
Starkey Apple
Summer Sweeting Apple
Tolman Sweet Apple
Westfield Seek-No-Further Apple
Whitney Crab Apple
Wickson Apple
Windham Russet Apple
Winn Russet Apple

Bosc Pear
Aurora honeyberry
Honey bee honeyberry
JB30 Saskatoon
Allegheny Serviceberry
Beach Plum
Elderberry Seedling
Northern Wild Raisin
‘Phillips’ Highbush Cranberry
‘Stevens’ American Cranberry

As well as several native flowers and ground covers…but I still find myself adding to my wishlist and dreaming away!

6 Likes

I’d also order a few Bud 490 if I could get my hands on them.

Instead, I’ll be doing 120 Bud 9 and a few others.

1 Like

What made you hesitate on Indiana Berry?

I put in a $200 order, and don’t expect any problems.

My first order from them was the first year they were in business…I got some strawberry plants from them.

They have just last month bought out the customers of Krohn’s berry plants in Michigan. They are a family business (unlike so many nurseries anymore).

I don’t have room to plant anything else, but I ordered some scions from Temperate Orchard Conservancy to graft to my project apple tree:

Cinnamon Spice
Rubaiyat
Skinner’s Seedling
Sierra Beauty
Spigold

3 Likes

I planted 14 Poncirus Trifolata (flying dragon) trees last spring (only 10 survived). I didn’t know that there was a variegated version. I just looked it up, that’s a beautiful specimen. Please post if you find a nursery that carries it.

3 Likes

Nothing on them, they have always sent me good stuff. I was commenting on whether I needed any more berry plants.

1 Like

Kevin,
Do you like Autumn Prince and Fair Time a lot? You listed both twice :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes, I like Vaughn nursery a lot. Good service and great price. Smaller trees but that’s not an issue with peaches and nectarine. Never order kinds of fruit from them.

1 Like

YIKES!!! Thank you for pointing that out. I copied this directly from the e-mail I sent them as my order. I did say I want one of each of these, but if I listed it twice that would be confusing!

And yea, their trees are a bit smaller but I usually find them to be larger than they say they are, and like you, I usually just get peaches, cots and a few plums from them and in my experience all 3 of those are fast growers. I did get 3 apples last year and they were 3-4 foot and well rooted and took off fast so that worked out good. However, they did confirm that they don’'t have a single apple tree left this year!

3 Likes

Wow, that is fantastic pricing! I will check them out for next year!

1 Like

It really is, Ryan. Add to that the fact that all their trees I’ve gotten are healthy and well rooted and their customer service is just out of this world. They have called me 3 times since I placed my order just to clarify something or tell me something they think I should know and so on. That is worth almost as much as the low prices to me. For example, they called to say they didn’t have the apples and to find out if I still wanted the rest of my order. That may sound like a normal thing to do but other places I’ve ordered from just process the order and ship it without the missing tree(s) and without asking if you still want the other items. They also called to see if I wanted my order shipped immediately or wanted to hold it until a certain date. Again, most places just ship when the order is ready and you just have deal with it if they arrive at a bad time. Anyway, you all get the picture. When a company sells great trees for an amazing price, I think they deserve recognition just as much or more as a bad company needs to be called out for bad practices.

On the small tree issue, I really need to send you some photos of the peach trees I bought from Vaughn’s last year that were bought as 24" - 30". First, they were actually about 36". But more importantly, I need to show you what they looked like at the end of the year. You would SWEAR they are 2-3 year old trees. They are all over 4 feet and spread out like you wouldn’t believe.

OK, enough praises. You all get the idea. I like Vaughn and have had good experiences. I encourage you to give them a shot and try to order as many trees as you can so they don’t crack down on their 10-tree minimum rule that is stated but often not enforced.

2 Likes

What was the caliper (thickness) of your peaches and other trees from Vaughn?

You’re saying they’re now 4ft high? What about trunk thickness now?

Aren’t all their peaches on Guardian rootstock?

I’m just curious, I’m really not looking at getting more trees. Seriously.

THey are DEFINATELY 4 ft high now. 100% for sure. and quite well branched. I really hate to guess at caliiper size when I got them since I just don’t remember that clearly. I’ll measure them today when I get home to tell you what they are now but I;d guess they are just about 1 ".
They are on Guardian rootstock, which I know a lot of people don’t like, but I’d say the MAJORITY of my peach trees are on guardian and just do fantastic here on the KY/TN border in my mostly well drained, fertile soil.

Also, in all fairness to my trees being 4 ft tall after one season, even though I bought them to be 24-30 inches, they were at least 36" when I get them before I topped them off to encourage spreading. So even though i paid for 24 - 30" trees they likely gave me bigger ones…though its hard to call that a bad thing!!! And 12-14 inches of growth for a peach tree is very good but not shocking for my orchard in full sun, good soil, annual fertilizing, and lots of rain (at least least year there was)

2 Likes