What are you ordering for 2022?

What’s the difference between Empress and “Empress bg” plums? Are these two different sports?

Oops, just saw that you are asking the same question… perhaps someone has to call them to inquire

Yea I don’t want it on b9 unfortunately.

Is there a price list?

I’m seeing a couple things I would like to add…

Tell me they also sell root stock and I’m sold…lol

Scott

I wish Baby Crawford peach was in stock somewhere.

1 Like

For 2022 I ordered some more mayhaws, and the 3 KSU pawpaws, and I just got a Cummins order in for 2023 delivery of 2xSurefire tart cherry, Kenmore and Bluebyrd plum.
May order more stuff depending who gets stuff in stock… Like I need more trees lol :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey me too! I’m on 1/5 an acre with a house and detached garage taking up most of it. I have 7 espaliers and room for 5 more, I’d have room for another 7 but I need to replace my sewer drain someday and don’t want to make it sooner. I put my espaliers 7ft apart and put a fruit bush between them. Honeyberries work great in between. So do goumi. You can get columnar apples or train trees in different styles to make room.

2 Likes

it’s $16-20/tree depending on order size and apple or stone fruit/pear. you can write them with $2 for their full catalog or I can scan you the ordering info and you can print and mail it to save a week or two, let me know

1 Like

If you don’t mind, please do.

Scott

@jfiorini I like your idea of growing fruit bushes between the espalier trees but goumis and honeyberries get to be 5 to 6 ft wide which means they will grow into your trees. Or do you plan on pruning to prevent this?
I now have strawberries growing under my trees. I wonder if the fruit bushes will provide too much shade for them. What do you think?

Awesome list! Where did you order your chestnut crab from if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

I am ordering a few trees for a new area I am putting full-size trees into. I’m done with close plantings of many varieties, no more deer/squirrel/groundhog/crow/raccoon/wasp smorgasbords in my yard! Successive ripening of many varieties was a great idea on paper. Everything worked out great until the animals stepped up to the plate.

So far I ordered a Seckel and a Dana Hovey from Fedco. I’m thinking a few plums as well, maybe Satsuma and Lavina? I put in several full-sized apples already so should have plenty of apples.

4 Likes

@jfiorini I feel like us small lot gardeners need to start a discussion thread sometime. Although challenging, it’s still neat to see what all is possible in the little space we have.

2 Likes

They can get that big, but it will take a long time. And if they ever get too big I’ll just prune. I pruned my plum like 11 times last year, fucker wouldn’t stop growing.

I run my espalliers almost perfectly parallels to the sun so the shade that’s cast doesn’t hit anything.

good idea

I put money down on 2 puppies to be game wardens of my new orchard plannings. Australian Shepherds.

I have a beautiful property that will be a haven to birds and pollinators. I just cant go the route of high fences and/or electric fences… it just doesnt feel right.

Dogs work! The animals smell the predator in their urine and excrement and stay away. I never had any animals coming around till my dog died. They don’t seem to worried about the cats though. Unless you can afford a really nice 8 foot fence they do not really work that well anyway. I had six foot fence and they just jumped or climbed over depending on what it is.

1 Like

Cheapest prices ive seen…but a 50 tree minimum order…

http://rustymangrumnursery.com/fruit-trees/plants

1 Like

That’s the reason I get them from a nursery in Corbin KY…they buy the 50 at 7 dollars and pot them up and I can buy one for $15.

(And I can look at the limbs and trunk and decide if they are labeled correctly often times…a Rome or Granny Smith or Red Delicious are not going to look alike in limb color or angle, nor the leaves as they begin to leaf out…you notice the Gala and Fuji are reversed on his website?) But, if you aren’t into grafting, that’s an economical method of starting an orchard. $7 trees. (Probably on M111 or M106 roots).

2 Likes