What are you planting during the 2016 season?

My order from Big Horse Creek Farm finally arrived this week. I planted the trees yesterday.

Myers Royal Limbertwig apple of Tennessee on B.9:

Magnum Bonum apple of North Carolina on EMLA.111:

Trees are smallish but adequately sized. The graft unions are beautiful. Yay!

1 Like

Received my Big Horse Creek trees Monday. Dula Beauty, Hoover, Hall, and Cherryville Black all on M7 rootstock. Got my Century Farm trees yesterday. Hooples Antique Gold and Joseph both on M111 rootstock. The BHC trees were definitely grafted this spring and were the same size as the trees I grafted this spring. The Century Farm trees must have been 2 year old trees, for they have a much bigger diameter.

I have had the same experience grayphase, the trees on B-9 I got from CF were at least twice the size of the B-9’s from BHC and those from CF look healthier and have grown at a much fast rate. I consider trees from CF to be a much better value for about the same price than those from BHC. Heading next weekend to the CF open house to pick up my latest tree order. Like others, I am jumping on the Hooples Antique Gold bandwagon and picking one up based on Scott’s high praise of the variety. Anyone growing Hollow Log? I am picking up one of those also based on write up.

Ordered Premier and O’neil to replace dead or near dead plants from Finch. Also some Premier and Powder Blue to pot up in gallons.

Gala and Sunprince from Cumberland Valley to add 2 new rows that will fill void in ripening window. Not much choice on peach variety this year.

OFW, Virginia Gold and Stayman on B9 to replace trees killed by fireblight several years ago. Also one Hoople on MM111 for scions from Century Farm to rework some other trees. Also some B9 rootstocks for spring from CF

Granny Smith and Goldens from ACN for spring 2017 shipping. I’m not crazy about either of these, but they both ripen at the perfect time and lots of folks have been asking for them,

Is CVN taking new peach orders? Their website says “sold out” and hasn’t been updated in months.

Matt,

I placed my order several months ago and they were not sure if the trees would be available, but I just got the confirmation/bill. Not sure about the current inventory, but I understand they had problems with seed germination last year like Vaughn

Some additional pluots and a good peach/nectarine would be my choice. But haven’t ordered anything yet. I have a replacement 4x1 Asian pear coming next spring and I have several Apricot seedlings I’ll be putting in the ground. I will probably try to graft more instead of adding more trees.

I’m planting 500 raspberry canes…Killarney variety.

Also planting about 40 peach trees…Red haven and Contender.

1 Like

Maine

Since I’m from NC, the Contender peaches caught my eye. How do they perform in Maine?

I got a pair of Guomi from One Green World. I have a pear tree with Taylor’s Gold and another pear to transplant from a nursery bed in my vegetable garden. It will replace a peach tree that finally succumbed.

I plan to graft the Claypool persimmons that are sold as Prairie **** as well as Ayers pear if I can get some good scion wood.

blueberrythrill…They have performed pretty well…got peaches right off and they have survived the cold Maine winters. Last season did not get any fruit, but no one else did around here either.

I finally broke down and bought a Candy Heart Pluerry. The roots were hacked pretty badly but I’m used to seeing that with Citation.

Wow, lt looks like your Candy Heart has a pretty thick caliper with some branching. Mine is just a 3/8" whip

Steve, I think the image is not representing it well. My tree is the same size as yours. All of the CH trees in the nursery were of this size. I hope it’s just because they were budded recently and not because they lack vigor.

Chris in GA- I’m interested in trying Hollow Log too. How can I not, with descriptions like this?

This flavorful and colorful apple originated in Rutherford County, North Carolina at an unknown date. Its name derives from the fact that it was discovered growing as a wild seedling near an old hollow log. It is a very late bloomer thus escaping most late spring frosts. As described by Valdesian Nurseries of Bostic, NC, in the 1920’s, it is a “large fruit, deep yellow in color, tender, crisp, very juicy and with a most delicious, aromatic, spicy flavor.” Ripens late June and can be picked into August.

It came from Rutherford county, a stone’s throw from where I am. I’ll be interested to know how it does for you.

I agree Kate, just the name Hollow Log will get you curious. Hope to report back in a few years with some results.

I didn’t intend to expand or add a lot, but here are trees and fruit plants that I’ve planted since Fall. Some replace fatalities and culls, but I also added a row.

Honeycrisp Apple, local nursery.
Maxie Asian/Euro Pear, local nursery.
Juliet Cherry, local nursery.
Korean Bush Cherry, One Green World.
Prairie Star Persimmon, OGW
Hollywood Plum, grown from cutting
Ember Plum, grew from graft on Hollywood roots.

Today, my shipment came from Raintree, and I planted them,
Nadia Cherry/Plum hybrid
Surefire Cherry
Maryjane Peach supposedly Peach Leaf Curl resistant.

There is still an order in at Burnt Ridge.

I cant beleive I added this many this winter.

I just purchased these today.

Carmine Jewel
Crimson passion
Juliet
Romeo
Nadia cherry - plum

1 Like

I just purchased Saskatoon blueberry bush, and two Haskaps Honeyberry, and Tundra.

I just received my orders from Schlabach’s and ACN this week and planted them this morning. From Schlabach’s I ordered two apple trees, a Jonathan and a Winesap. The catalog said available on bud 9 which I specified on the order form but when I got them the tags say emla 26. The trees I got from them, a Jonathan is 39" high with a 3/8" caliper and Winesap is 37" high with a 1/2" caliper. From ACN I ordered a Flavor Grenade 37" high with a 1/2" caliper. The Flavor Heart is 35" high with a 5/8" caliper. Generally I am happy with what they both sent me. Pics as follows…

Schlabach’s with Winesap on top and Jonathan on the bottom

ACN with Flavor Heart on top and Flavor Grenade below it

1 Like