What are you planting during the 2016 season?

I’ll be putting 40-50 fig trees in next year ;-}

Vaughn Nursery has finally posted their offerings for Spring 2016. Their website is subpar but you can find the new listings if you do some digging. I’m disappointed because they are offering way fewer peach varieties on Halford rootstock than in previous years. Most of their stuff is on Guardian which won’t work for my heavy soils. They say their stock is limited this year due to poor seed germination th last season. (Sad face). :cry:

Matt, what is your soil type? My 10 or so peach trees from Vaughn on Guardian are growing in unamended clay and seem to be healthy and happy.

Chris,

That’s intriguing. How long have you had them growing there?

I thought I had read somewhere that Guardian was particularly ill-suited for heavy soils, but now I cannot find that reference.

Perhaps Guardian would work fine for me afterall. I have heavy clay too. I really like Vaughn because their prices and cultivar selections are terrific.

Thanks for the message.

Matt, the enclosed article from the University of Georgia, says to use Guardian rootstock when available.
Virtually all native top soil in Georgia is clay

http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/thomas/anr/documents/PeachesandNectarines.pdf

Here is a picture of my Winblo tree planted in this February that came from Vaughn, looks pretty happy to me, Guardian seems to be a vigorous rootstock.

1 Like

Good looking tree.

Ok, I gave in, I usually do. I ordered an Abbe Fetel pear, Korean Giant Pear (have a lot of peach and apple scion wood coming in, and plum. I want one more peach but cannot make up my mind. I had so much rot this year I’m a little skiddish. At least I had two great trees filled with peaches.

I have no room, and plus I have been hit with some financial burdens this summer. So only a replacement tree. A Weeping Santa Rosa that died, a free replacement will be sent. I will be adding some currants, but that is it. Oh i hope to obtain some scion. That will be my main new stone fruits, scion wood.

I think my Winblo is a dud. I bought 3 Winblo from Vaughn last year. Kept one, gave away two. The one I kept has grown 2-3 twigs after 2 years. Based on Chris in GA’ pic, mine is laughable.

Do not want to plant anymore peaches. Will graft on to my existing trees if possible.

I will order Honey Jar and Sugar Cane jujubes. I will move toward less troubled fruit trees like jujubes, paw paw and persimmon in the coming years.

I told myself I wasn’t going to order any more trees for 2016 because I already have most peach varieties which will grow here. Nevertheless, I needed to replace some varieties with something which will work better here, or more trees of patented varieties I already have.

So I am getting rid of PF1, White Lady, NJF15, Snow Giant, September Snow, Sweet Bagel, and probably get rid of Sugar May and Early Red Fre. Most of what I’m getting rid of are white peaches, many of which are too hard to grow here or don’t taste that great.

New varieties I ordered were Galaxy and PF14 New Jersey. I hadn’t heard of PF14 and not seen it offered before, even though it’s not a new variety. Ordered a Vision plum and Potomac and Blakes Pride pears.

Olpea,

Just PMed you.

Six Tam Kam non-astringent Korean persimmons that I grafted this Spring for trial. I plan to bury the graft union a foot below ground level to insure re-sprout of the same cultivar for just in case of Winter kill to the ground level. I will plant 3 more fig varieties the same method as of the Tam Kam to insure re-growth. I got 5 jujube rootstocks to bark graft in the Spring. I will also graft 10 Korean Giant Asian pears on callery pear rootstocks for relatives.

Tony

@tonyOmahaz5 Will you winter protect the Tam Kam?

Only when the temp drops below-1F. They will get a light bulb in the center and a tarp wraps around the whole tree.

Tony

Edible Landscaping - 2 Dunstan chestnuts
Plantmegreen - Pecans - 1 Lakota, 1 Kanza, 2 Amling
Stark Bros - Triple Play Pawpaw Collection - PA Golden, Mango, Sunflower.

For those ordering peach trees from Vaughn nursery, have you also spoken with Cumberland Valley Nursery? Both are near me and are top notch. All of the peach trees I’ve received from CVN have grown at an incredible rate. I got most of my plum trees from Vaughn and they’ve also done well.

CVN has not yet posted their 2016 peaches online. Last year, they posted their new stock in November.

Matt,

Got it and PM you back.

I’d like to add a red fleshed apple or two, ideally Almata or Winekist. Unfortunately I have not found a nursery selling either of them on standard or M118 rootstock. Fedco had them last year but they are gone from the 2016 list.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to fine these (preferably Winekist) or some other red fleshed early apple trees?

Fedco might be able to send you Winekist scionwood if that helps.

Thanks Matt. I will check into that. I am a fairly inexperienced grafter (did take a course once and the graft lived, but later died). So perhaps I can give it another try if I can’t turn one up.