What are you thankful for?

As fruit growers, what are you all thankful for? This is some of what I’m giving thanks for this year.

I am thankful that the harvest is in and has been bountiful with nectarines, plums and blueberries in the freezer and apples in the apple fridge to keep us supplied all winter into spring (and pears into winter). I am specifically thankful for tasting from my orchard Rich May and Victoria peaches for the first time, which extends my peach harvest by a full month.

I am also thankful for my first taste of Indian Free,Goldust and Glenglo peaches and Silver Gem and Honey Royale nectarines which added a lot of taste excitement to the season. They are all the (almost) sure keepers of my trials this year.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 Likes

I am very thankful that my orchard forces me outside to see the “real world” happening instead of inside staring at a computer screen.

This year I am thankful for first tastes on my Florilege apricot, a new winner on the disease/taste front, the Orus 2711-1 blackberry which looks to be both very hardy and very good tasting, Golden Transparent Gage plum which avoided the massive Euro plum rotfest by ripening late, and new late apples Keener Seedling and Black Limbertwig - both very tasty and highly bug- and disease-resistant.

5 Likes

I’m thankful for all of the helpful people here that have turned my attempts into success. I look forward to bountiful harvests.

2 Likes

I’m thankful for the many blessings I’ve had this year. Good family and friends, plenty of work and many successes. The growingfruit.org forum has taken my fruit growing skills up a notch. Really appreciate everyone on here as you all have different perspectives and I learn something from each post. I want to thank Scott especially for starting the forum! May each of you have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

1 Like

Thank you Clark for reminding me of something I’m very thankful for- Scott’s creation of this forum. A thanksgiving toast to Scott for rescuing us GW refugees!

7 Likes

I am thankful for the bountiful fruits (Jujubes, Asian and Euro pears, Asian and American persimmons, Apples, Cots, Peaches, Pawpaws, and Berries) in my backyard after nine years of growing. In addition to grocery bought. I just reloaded a 100 lbs of Fuyu persimmons, and 50 lbs of Wonderful pomegranates. These two fruits will keep my family healthy for the next couple of months. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Tony

2 Likes

I’m assuming those Fuyus are ones you bought. They will be awfully soft in 2 months, right?

The stores here never have CA persimmons after Christmas so there must be no good way to store them.

Thank you all for all of your help to make this years harvest the largest ever and I only have more to look foward to. I am grateful for my patience, finally! Happy Thanksgiving all!

Thanks for the centerfold. Those are beautiful.

1 Like

I’m thankful that I get to introduce my daughter to all sorts of fruits she probably wouldn’t otherwise encounter. She loves black currants and guomi, and hopefully has begun a lifetime of enjoying fresh fruit.

1 Like

I am thankful for this forum ( special thanks to Scott), and the members for their advice, kindness and generosity (Scionwood).

I am also thankful for the bountiful fruit of my labor this year particularly Honey Crisp apples and Shiro plums.

2 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving.Thanks for the help,contributions and ideas this forum has brought about.
Also,I’m happy that a lot of grafts were successful to bring new fruit next year and beyond and that I have some place to grow things. Brady

1 Like

Alan,
These are California Fuyus and we like to eat it a little soft for the extra sugars. I probably ended up dehydrating half of them for longer storage. BTW, I peeled a few riped pawpaws and freezed them to for future use. I hoped they taste as good as they were fresh. Just done baking some Vietnamese cakes for Thanksgiving dinner. Too bad I am on call today and praying that people take a small bite of turkey and chew it well before swallowing it so they don’t get food bolus. I hate to drive on the icy roads today to anesthetized them for the GI doc to get it out.

Tony

2 Likes

Cool looking cakes,Tony.Are they made with fruit? Brady

Tony are you an anesthiologist? Please tell us about the cakes! They are beautiful.

Brady,

I used Taros, Mung beans, and Sweet purple yams from Hawaii. I steamed cook one layer of taros at a time for 8 minutes then add another layer of sweet purple yam and so on. A little time consuming but they are so good.

Tony

MrsG,

I called myself a gas passer. LOL.

Tony

1 Like

Wow, such beautiful cakes! I am very impressed.

Sorry Tony meant to PM this I have a question for you.

MrsG,

PhD/Anesthetist.

Tony