What are your autumn flowers blooming?

I enjoyed the summer flower topic so much that I wanted to start seeing fall flowers. Here is my Big Jim Loquat that opened up two days ago.

9 Likes

Same here in South bay, Big Jim is blooming. Champagne is almost done

Planted Blackeyed Susan in late summer. They are peaking now

7 Likes

Wow this looks like my garden…my Thunbergia is climbing all over the place and blooming like yours.

2 Likes

The Aster flowers are blooming
They look better then this, but most pictures online do not show the Structure of the plant well
just up close flower pictures

Witch hazel should be blooming also, but I do not see that up here
I’ve seen a few others , but not sure yet what they are (just bought a camera though)

4 Likes

Don’t know what these are but they whe

re flowering at the beach last week.

3 Likes

First saffron flower of the fall:

7 Likes

Four O’Clocks still going…

3 Likes

Always surprised to see these autumn crocus Colchicum autumnale

And last flowers of the brown eye Susan .
These are excellent at attracting small beneficial insects .
Perennial just throw the seed heads some where and don’t mow.
I have naturalized them here. Finches eating them now.

5 Likes

My aster does not look like yours. My aster:

4 Likes

Spot a bumblebee is still gathering nectar.

6 Likes

The wild asters have a lot of diversity, from understated to wow! color and size. I like that doubled aster in the second picture!

1 Like

Some Epilobium canum aka Zauschneria aka California fuschia I bought from High Country Gardens. I’m overwintering it in a pot for a spring planting, but it decided it was happy enough to throw a couple flowers. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this does in ground here.

2 Likes

Can it survive your winter?

1 Like

Moonflower (Ipomoea alba). Finally started blooming - was battling a squash vine.

4 Likes

The seller claims this selection is hardy to Zone 5 once established. It’s an experiment for me. My other concern is moisture. I have pretty sandy soil, so I think I’ll be OK. Will probably need to keep the pH adjusted. as we’re pretty acidic. I potted up the nursery plant and it’s on my unheated porch for the winter. I took a few cuttings for backup, which will live inside.

I’m also trying out Salvia gregii and Monardella macrantha selections that claim zone 5 hardiness. Both of these are also about to set blooms.

1 Like

Tree Poppy (Dendromecon rigida), growing in my friend’s yard (in CA Central Valley).

2 Likes

Very interesting…the Monardella is a SoCal plant. I would expect it to love sandy soil, but would want a slightly alkaline pH most likely. Who knows? I have grown some CA natives in conditions very different from their native habitats, and they do great.

1 Like

Some Symphyotrichum asters from around my yard, both wild and cultivated.

4 Likes

They have it rated for up to 30 -40" of rainfall (with care), which is similar to what my prickly pears like. So, I have the Monardella in the same bed, in front of my raised cold hardy cactus bed, with marble chip mulch, which will hopefully help mediate pH. Time will tell! I also bought some safer choices for my region, but it’s fun to experiment.

1 Like

Pacific ninebark (Physocarpus capitatus) from private garden in CA Central Valley.

1 Like