What are your summer flowers blooming?

8 Likes

This is a flower I saw in a pot yesterday. The color was striking. No flowers on my terrace yet.

12 Likes

Very pretty , Ice plant?

3 Likes

11 Likes

I don’ t know. Never saw it before ! Pretty though.

My son moved to Colorado with his girlfriend and they have a balcony that gets no direct sun. They are looking to brighten up the patio at this time. Any suggestions on a good flowering shade tolerant plant.

Impatient is one of shade tolerant flowering plants.

2 Likes

My 20+year old Japanese Yew does not flower but still pretty. A lady ask me, if that is a rosemary bush. Ya right, 9’ tall, looks like that year around.

5 Likes

In my yard I get flowers in the shade from Spiderwort, Violets, and Lungwort. Spiderwort and Violets are sort of weeds around here; I pick them out of some places but let them run in others.

4 Likes

Campanula just started in. These are lovely, but a little weedy.

11 Likes

How do you overwinter them?

@galinas,
You are right. I forgot that impatients are annual :slightly_frowning_face:

@jcguarneri - “that plant”, it took me several years to get rid of them.
I like other purple campanulas a lot more.

1 Like

Yes, I think they’re going to need careful management if I keep them around. They’re just so pretty, though!

I think we have a patch of those - bluer than the ones in your picture. I’ll post a picture when they bloom and maybe someone can help me with the ID.

I’ve read that many types of campanula are edible (the coveted plant from the original “Rapunzel” story was Campanula ranunculus, aka rampion).

1 Like

Just read this thread for the first time last night. Lovely pictures everyone! This time of year we have oriental poppy, peony, chives, and green onions blooming. Also Blackberries a couple weeks ago, which will of course be more than pretty flowers!

15 Likes

Uh oh, I just planted campanula this year… doh.
I planted columbine one year, and I’m still trying to get rid of it 6 years later!

1 Like

I asked about cannas! :smiley:

Oh, that’s easy. In mid Oct, I cut the trunk off almost to the ground and carefully dig all rhizomes up. I put them in a trash bag and cover them with peat moss. Close the bag and leave it in a dark place with temp in the low 40 F.

Since where I keep them is quite warm, they tend to sprout in April. I don’t plant them out until mid May.

I’ve read some Campanula are weedy, some are hard to keep around, and a select few are in between.

This is the kind I like.

image https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_V98sRKIOGiYBtyB82OfVi6ExWawT34fiplUx8IcXEFI&s

1 Like