What did you eat today - that you grew?

Regina, I think what you mean is . . . is there a diff between grafting to a graft - or do you have to whack off the graft and then graft to the stub that’s left, which is the original tree???

If you don’t want the ‘last year’s graft’ - then I’d just cut it off and if there’s enough left of the original tree behind it - then graft to that.

However . . . I will say this . . . I made a cut near the end of a growing Bevin’s Fave graft - and grafted something else to that. I did leave a bud or two of Bevin’s (I think that was its name?) so I might even end up with 3 different varieties on that one branch!!! The original tree, which I think is Ashmead’s. The Bevin’s. And then the new variety!

afterthought

I am not qualified to give you an opinion, about this grafting on grafting, etc - after I thought about it. I hope one of the more experienced ‘Apple People’ will give their advice.

My experience is wayyyy too limited - and my answer was really more ‘musing’ than ‘advice’. And that sentence in italics . . . well, it’s just what I might do in this situation.

P.S. - I realize that this should be under a different topic . . . so I apologize!
I tried to delete it and move it, and all I could seem to do was edit it. ?

P.S. - Did you get your Golden Delicious as a scion? Or is it a tree?

No pictures, but out Arden today, fertilized my peonies, when done I picked and ate 2 satsumas and 1 Algerian(Fremont) mandarin, pretty tasty even though they are not completely yellow.

It’s just an example, but it is an original grafted tree. I’m thinking of doing what you did and having three types of apples on one branch.

It is suggested that grafts be placed more interior on the tree so that new fruit won’t be so far to the outside. This is challenging for me in several ways. If the graft fails, the tree will have a large open area in that space. If the graft takes but the position is wrong, it is harder to tie down or stake the graft into a new growing habit without putting pressure on the new graft. If the graft takes but the fruit is undesirable, cutting off the graft again leaves a large void in the tree.

This just takes me back to a branch with three varieties which I suppose is not such a bad thing.

I picked a couple dozen Kassandra hybrid persimmons a week or so ago from the tree pictured below. At the time, the fruits on the tree were hard, orange, and astringent. Then I stored them in a bag with an apple. I ate this first one yesterday. It was red and ripe – sweet, tasty and completely non-astringent. My wife and I ate another dozen or so this morning.

As you can see, the tree is ridiculously prolific. I picked 400 fruits yesterday (yes, I counted!) and there are still at least as many left. I’m guessing 900-1000 fruits on the tree in total.

The fruits are small but that seems an advantage. You can eat them whole, removing the stem and popping the red ball into your mouth. Or you can eat them in two bites.

Maybe the best news, my wive loved them. As background, she likes the taste of Asian non-astringents such as Jiro / Fuyu, at least until they get over-ripe. In the past I tried to feed her Prok American persimmons but I could never get them completely non-astringent and the consistency of a fully ripe fruit was very gooey. So that was a disaster. In contrast, she ate one Kassandra fruit today then asked for more and then started looking up recipes. She described the texture as like a ripe tomato.

15 Likes

@jrd51 … you might try making some persimmon jam using my low sugar chia jam recipe (link above)… but for persimmons try adding some baking soda to see if that keeps the astringency from coming back.

I plan to try that myself as soon as i can collect enough fruit and it looses astringency.

You have an abundance of fruit for sure… congrats.

2 Likes

@TNHunter – Thanks. Low sugar jam is exactly what I want. We’ll try the recipe.

I’m gonna take the direct approach regarding a possible return of astringency – I’ll mash some fruits then heat them, see what happens. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Lemons, I’m going to make lemon cake and need organic peels, not yellow enough, but these 2 will do

Arugula in abundance, I’m going to give some away to friends at my senior center, I keep cutting and they keep coming

Tatsoi, today I will make pork belly ramen noodle with one bunch.

8 Likes

Mandarins from my sister’s yard.

Watercress after the rain

Greens from my garden, collard greens and arugulas will replace kale from the recipe kale potato soup.

8 Likes

Spent some time setting up and shooting photo references for still life paintings. (Just want everyone to know that I don’t do ‘forum photos’ with this much ‘fancy’!) :grin:
I do eat one of these, just about every day. My granddaughters will likely do the same when they visit this coming week.

Anyway . . . This is a KajAcik Anor with some Granadas and a very pale Wonderful. “Kaj” has a great taste but a bit more seed than I would prefer. Still . . . it’s a super fruit. Large and very pretty.

There was one little - very tiny pom that I took some photos of. I love the colors in its calyx. And it looks great on that blue plate! I think it might be a Salavatski. I don’t remember now . . .

Kaj and Friends in White Oblong Bowl

tiny pomegranate

SQ 3 poms w pedestal and leaves

14 Likes

Very nice photos. Would like to see the still lifes. I have several my mom did and make prints of them.

2 Likes

I get that this is a forum about fruit . . . . But if I grow the fruit and the deer eat the fruit and then I eat the deer, does that count?

7 Likes

@jrd51 … below is what i said at the start of this one.

Would love to see what all you are eating “Today” what ever day it is… that you grew, foraged, caught, produced.

Deer abused my mulberry leaves… they are going to get some payback soon.

3 Likes

OK, I just finished butchering this guy. The scale said 256 lbs live weight. Took a pair of does earlier too. So far all we’ve eaten is the heart and one tenderloin.

12 Likes

@jrd51 … nice buck… one like that can really skin up your fruit trees. I have a crabapple in my back yard that has been buck rubbed twice… something fierce. It recovered nicely both times.

Tenderloins… very good and tender even on older deer.

Backstrap from a young deer… i take a 4 or 5 inch long piece and butterfly cut it open… you get a nice sized inch thick cut of meat that way.

Season with salt pepper garlic … and some A1 sauce… bacon wrap it… grill it med rare… oh man… good stuff.

5 Likes

Ariana pomegranate

8 Likes

Nice buck!

4 Likes

Was not quite what I expected to see a picture of in here.
I almost never see the ones around here, but they like nibbling my young trees. The neighbors are basically the house on the hill, so they can see them frolicking almost every day.

Apologies for duplicating a a photo posted in another thread, but this is relevant here. I started picking Ichi Ki Kei Jiro persimmons today. This is roughly 1/3 of the crop, based on a crude guesstimate of what’s left on the trees.

7 Likes

Just harvested my first ever homegrown brussel sprouts. Our local nursery was selling starts of some purple type this spring, so I decided to try them out. Have 3 more plants still growing, but these roasted up nicely:

They were much milder tasting than the green kind usually at the market or grocery store.

Also still continuously harvesting tomatoes in the greenhouse, both “Pink Boar” and “Optimal”:

7 Likes