Fresh Berry/Fruit Chia Jam, Low Sugar

Hey all… I posted some details of Low Sugar Chia Jam that I have been making for years now… over under a different Topic… and a few asked that I post it here where all might find the recipe. SO… here it goes.

This is quite simple but makes a very good jam… Takes about 15-20 minutes.

2.5 cups of your fav fruit or berries, what ever you like. Chop or slice/dice if needed to get the size you want. Or while you are cooking it down (8 min) you can mash it then if you prefer. Something like a potato masher works great to get the consistency you want. With something like raspberries… I find they need no mashing, just cooking and stirring them does it for me, but I like my jam to have chunks of fruit in it. Note 2.5 cups of most fruit/berries cooks down to make 1 pint jar of jam.

Juice of 1/2 Lemon

2 Tablespoons of Chia seeds

4-6 tablespoons of your fav sweetener - we use organic coconut palm sugar or maple syrup or a mix of the two. You can also use Honey if you prefer, but you need to wait until the cooked jam cools off significantly before adding your honey. 90 degrees or less, probably better.

Below my ingredients for todays batch of jam.

2.5 cups mixed berries picked today

Other ingredients and things used, Chia Seeds, 1/2 Lemon, Coconut Palm Sugar, Pint Jar.

Cooking it down…

Just use a small pot, and heat it up on Med heat and pour your berries in…

After a minute or so on Med heat you will hear it start to sizzle, simmer a bit, stir it occasionally and let it continue to simmer for 8 minutes. After a couple of minutes it will be simmering pretty good and you can usually turn it down to med/low at that point and continue the simmering, and stirring.

8 minutes later it will look something like this…

Take it off the heat at that point and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.

Then simply mix in your juice of 1/2 Lemon, 2 TableSpoons of Chia Seeds, and 4-6 tablespoons of sweetner.

You can store in the fridge for fresh eating, or freeze for a year or so to keep longer.

I froze 4 pints so far this week.

Enjoy !

PS… we are used to low sugar, we Keto most of the time. Occasionally fall back to Paleo diet standards and this works for Paleo.

Most Jams call for like 2 cups of fruit and 4 cups of sugar… Yikes.
This Jam is much lower on sugar… 2.5 cups of Fruit and 4-6 table spoons sugar.
Of course you can add as much sugar as you like. 4-6 works great for us.

13 Likes

I cannot say for to sweet a jam

But I know some stuff to sweet I add Pretzels to tame it
(think store bought Ice Cream –
also with Ice cream can add Mint extract
I have for Birthday cake ice cream but not a fan of the flavor )

Anyways some recipes call for two much sugar

Like if it is Rhubarb cookies or even cake (or lemon)
Why would it be ruined with some recipes online losing the character with all the sugar …

I’d hate for someone to try some American Rhubarb recipe online ,
and say Rhubarb cake is just boring for their first experience eating rhubarb
(it is with a ton of sugar to my tastes at least)

That being said Your Jam could add some pep to it.
in the failed such recipe After the fact .

Thanks for the recipe details @TNHunter !
So you add the chia seeds whole, not ground?
Just wondering if you have you tried any stevia/erythritol/xylitol etc. blends instead of the sugar, and if so you did or didn’t like it?

@KSprairie — yes whole chia seeds work perfectly… thickens the jam up nicely.
No need to grind them… PS… chia seeds come in different colors… white, black, for example and the color chia you use can make your jam look a little different, perhaps a bit prettier…

The lady in this youbue vid makes strawberry chia jam and she uses white chia… very pretty jam.

You can use any sweetener you like (or perhaps in some cases T2D have to use) like stevia, or sugar alcohols I just do not like the taste of those and have tried them all… a very small amount of xylitol I can sort of get along with, but prefer to use real natural sweeteners mentioned earlier.

TNHunter

1 Like

I tried the recipe it worked well!

You ever try it with fresh not cooked fruit?

Looks good… and no I have not tried without cooking fruit.