What did you eat today - that you grew?

And here’s my Baby Crawford. They are just starting to ripen.

18 Likes

13 Likes

Gorgeous peaches and blackberries.

I have some Illini blackberries still producing… will have to pick some after work today.

Exactly how mine looked, but you have a better pic :slight_smile: I (mis)read somewhere that while they are called “Baby” Crawford they’re of normal size. Clearly, they are a small peach even when they are properly thinned.

Cucamelon

7 Likes

They have always been on the small size for me, whether thinned or not. But that’s probably good, since their flavor is so intense it might be hard to eat a big one haha. My favorite peach.

1 Like

Tomatoes are spent.

6 Likes

First maypop of the season dropped today.
Later than normal. It was excellent!

2 Likes

Oooo. Jealous. I’m hoping to add Passion flowers to my tropical section next year.

1 Like

I wish I could grow tropical Passiflora species. But then again they can be very acidic, whereas ripe maypops are great to eat out of hand.
In Taiwan I had candy-sweet P. edulis but have never matched that since.

1 Like

Shinseiki is starting to ripen here a little ahead of schedule. I chilled one in the work fridge and ate it for lunch. Very refreshing.

12 Likes

Oh, I don’t mean real tropical. I’m still zone 7 :joy: I just have a section of my garden I put all my potted tropicals in (citrus, elephant ears, ginger, etc), and it also has other tropical-feeling foliage stuff (hardy hibiscus, hostas, etc)

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple P. maliformis vines going in the greenhouse, but they haven’t flowered yet, even though the bigger one is already up into the rafters 8+ feet up. I chose this species in part because it’s supposed to be one of the sweetest, though small and so hard that apparently you need a hammer to crack them open.

3 Likes

Very cool! I admit I am not familiar with that species!
I have a hybrid with tucamanensisthat has tiny fruits that are very sweet. But they are soft skinned.

1 Like

Here’s where I got most of my info about it:

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sweet_calabash.html

I don’t know anyone who has grown it so I’m not really sure what the fruit will be like tbh. But I’ve got two seedlings, which hopefully will ensure cross-pollination when the time comes.

Goji berries

8 Likes

If I thought birds would eat Gogi and leave blueberries alone…I’d plant a couple dozen plants!!!

I suspect the opposite…they’d also much prefer blueberries…as I do.

2 Likes

I’m pulling my tomatoes tomorrow, but since the H was smoking a salmon filet today, decided I would smoke the last of the vine ripe tomatoes to dry them!

10 Likes

So, the tomatoes didn’t dry as much as I hoped, but oh my are they tasty!

2 Likes

Not sure about protecting the blueberries, but I can attest that mockingbirds raid the goji bushes daily.

1 Like