What did you eat today - that you grew?

Bacon wrapped grilled back strap… and a big beef tomato… I provided the deer and tomato.

Good eats…

TNHunter

12 Likes

How did the smoked tomatoes turn out?

1 Like

OMGoodness they were wonderful! We put them on pizza. Didn’t dehydrate well enough for storage, but gave us a few days of tastiness!

They didn’t last long enough for pretty pictures :joy:

3 Likes

Had some of my very last bluberries… tiffblue powderblue… several strawberries… okra and tomatoes today… and a couple fall gold raspberries.

2 Likes

Premier and Aurora, and maybe a couple of other stray blueberries tonight.
Pie (cobbler) of Niedzwetzkyana red fleshed apples.
Cherry tomatoes and Nasturtium leaves for appetizer before dinner.
(The other items for supper I didn’t grow.)

my everbearing raspberries are flowering now. im still eating nelson blackberries , acc eden reds, northland blues and royalty purples. froze alot of them. my patch of preludes is flowering which isnt supposed to happen so i think nourse made a mistake but ill take it. been eating fresh carrots, pickled some beets, cukes and some zucchini.

2 Likes

For lunch today… venison stew… harvested last November and pressure canned. A big beef tomato… and a few strawberries harvested yesterday evening.

And hoe’d a double row of green beans on my lunch hour… WAY to hot for that.

Going to wait till sundown to do more.

TNHunter

4 Likes

You get after it man. I’m impressed with your abilities to do all these things.

1 Like

I’ve been eating peaches for days. 1 peach tree already yields too much for 3 people to eat once they start to ripen when there’s a decent crop.

19 Likes

Nice peach… looks so good.

It would be nice if they ripened slowly over a month or two… and nothing would bother them… until you pick and eat.

Mine ripen over about two weeks… little more… and everything is out to get them.

I have some apple peach blackberry jam that I put up late june… going to get one of those out for this weekend.

Have a hankering for some peach now.

TNHunter

1 Like

I live in the suburbs and dealt with the squirrels for the most part this year. The birds are something harder to deter. We don’t have much other wildlife around here. I think mine will ripen over 2 weeks. Having a multigrafted tree with varieties that ripen at different times seems like the smarter thing to do right about now.

15 Likes

Tree ripe Frost peaches about 10days late , but huge fruit compared to the last 5 years.
Delicious with Cheerios on my back porch in Seattle .
No fertilizer or pesticide used anywhere in my yard

15 Likes

Beautiful !!!

1 Like

They look great! Bet those Cheerios never tasted better!

2 Likes

What did I eat today that I grew? Mostly fruit. Red Baron peach, Santa Rosa plum (weeping variety), Artic Jay nectarine, Babycakes blackberry, Gravenstein apples (from the Frankentree). There are actually 5 different types of apples on the Frankentree, but the Gravensteins are the only ones completely ripe.

I have been slacking on the vegetable gardening lately. Too many other things to do.

4 Likes

Harken Peach , Moonglow Pears , Burbank Plum and Flavor King Pluot.

14 Likes

When did you pick moonglow? I’ve been having real problems timing them as well as getting them to ripen.

1 Like

Most of the pears still hanging that was just dropped and I picked up. It was good but while others are still very hard. Since pears are not going to ripe at tree I am starting to pick few every week and put them in brown lunch bag to further ripe.

We are eating a lot of eggplant right now. (And so are all my friends!) And I am painting eggplants. They are really fun to paint because it’s a challenge to find ‘the colors’ that are in all that ‘aubergine’.

Made a ‘Caprese Salad’ tonight with our tomatoes. The rest is store bought . . . Roasted Red Peppers, Capers, Mozzarella, olive oil, salt & pepper, and GARLIC! Fabulous.

16 Likes