What did you eat today - that you grew?

How do you cook this? I have never grown this type of pumpkins because I don’t know what to do with it

I cut it in half, remove seeds and stringy stuff with a spoon, and cut each half into fours. I then bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes, until a fork goes right through flesh. Take out, let cook, and scrap the flesh into food processor and turn into puree. The puree is then used throughout the week in pancakes, muffins, smoothies, soup.
Long Island Cheese has been fail proof for me. It is squash vine borer resistant, grows through powdery mildew and doesn’t seem as bothered by squash bugs.

4 Likes

Jim, Thanks for sharing such detailed preparation. Does it have large vine?(need a lot of space?) How many pumpkins it can produce in general per seedling?

yes, gets real big. Last year I planted it behind everything in the garden and let it grow through the tomatoes and peppers and along the back border. I started them in containers early. As the tomatoes and things started to peter off, the squash took over. I think with 6 plants I probably harvested like 20 pumpkins, more than I needed.

5 Likes

I just cooked up some more butternut squash for freezing. They are beginning to go bad. I had soup that my spouse put collar greens in. Those are the only vegies I have left from 2020

2 Likes

I had some fermented pickles yesterday…

Last fall grew a nice crop of carrots and pressure canned lots of beef stew… that we had for dinner last night with some keto cornbread.

TNHunter

3 Likes

@clarkinks

Parker pear. Harvested last mid-Aug (2020) and stored appropriately. Still good eating to me :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Excellent those are a good keeper!

1 Like

Reportedly they aren’t (according to some reports) but in my experience they are if bagged and put in cold storage. Not all last as well, but if blemish free they can last a LONG time. They make me happy! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What kind of bamboo? I’m guessing Phyllostachys aureosulcata? I had moso shoots this past week. Fresh bamboo shoots are great!

1 Like

I made chicken wonton soup yesterday. Garlic chives, chives, walking onion greens, lovage and garlic mustard all went into the filling and more onion greens and garlic mustard was added to the soup.
Really tasty! (And way more wontons per serving than any restaurant)

9 Likes

Just harvested these kumquats from pot growing plant

19 Likes

For lunch today… Chunky Deer Stew… guess you could say I grew it, they eat from my woods, fields, browse, acorns, etc…

4 pointer taken last fall, pressure canned. My canner will do 20 regular mouth pints at one time.

Meat soups are one of my favorite things to pressure can, takes a while but you have a meal in a jar when done. Makes a good quick lunch.

Tonight for dinner, having small mouth bass, caught last spring (my last pack in the freezer)… going to have to catch some more soon.

PS… that Chunky Deer Stew… simple.

Fill a pint jar, half way with cubed deer hind quarter meat, add onion, garlic, celery, carrots, any other veggies you like (to keep it low carb we added broccoli stalks) for a green. (no potatoes). Beef broth, pinch of salt. Good stuff.

I also browsed several dandelion flowers, some greens and several bunches of wood sorrel.

TNHunter

6 Likes

finished my last jar of black currant jam. have 4 more 1 gal. bags of them frozen that i need to make more from. my favorite jam hands down.

5 Likes

I used 3 gallons of frozen tomatoes from last summer’s harvest and made a thick delicious spaghetti sauce, homemade french bread, fresh picked asparagus sautéed with butter and garlic, baked spaghetti squash (stored from last fall and still perfect condition), and canned garlic dill beans on the side.
For dessert, I made bumbleberry cobbler with freshly picked rhubarb, blackberries (frozen from last summer), and some blueberries (store bought).

1 Like

you make your own hominy grits? Yum!!! :yum:

1 Like

my rhubarb is just coming up! love the 1st stalks of the season.

2 Likes

@steveb4 it won’t be long before you can pick some rhubarb! It grows so fast once it pops up.
I should have made a rhubarb pie, but cobbler is so mush faster. It’s all good! Asparagus and rhubarb are the first vegetables I harvest, so spring is officially under way here!

1 Like

as warm as its been its going to be a bumper crop. i have Canada red and a heirloom green rhubarb my great grandfather brought from Quebec when he immigrated here in the early 1900’s. i plan to expand my patches from what i have so i can sell some at the farmers market. ive had alot of requests for fresh rhubarb.

2 Likes

great idea. The price of fresh rhubarb in our stores… seems like it is around $6 a pound! I have about 10 plants, some are Victoria I started from seed. The others came from my grandfather’s MN farm… don’t know where they got them from or what kind it is. It definitely does not like our hot KS summers, but in partial shade it is still doing OK.
Love that you are still growing your great grandfather’s rhubarb! That’s awesome. :blush:

2 Likes