What did you eat today - that you grew?

it loves our cool summers here and will produce all summer if you clip the flowers and water it occasionally. you can tell where old farms used to be, driving around this time of year, as the rhubarb is the 1st thing to popup in a field. only plant i know that can out compete grass with no help. they love a good helping of chic manure in the spring and mid summer.

1 Like

There are more steps to it than making corn grits, but now that my family has gotten into a routine of making hominy regularly, itā€™s not really a big deal at all, and on a small scale and with simple, inexpensive equipment I think itā€™s actually easier than corn grits, and hominy grits are so good. I havenā€™t ever made hominy with purchased corn, but I imagine that would be very worthwhile taste-wise, too. They are neutral in the way really good rice or bread are nonetheless normally neutral, but I still think wow! these are really good just about every time I eat them. I really enjoy whole hominy, too, both the flavor and the chewy texture that reminds me of bagels. Iā€™d highly recommend hominy to just about anybody thatā€™s into homegrown food, unless maybe you live in Alaska or some other place where corn canā€™t be grown. Although corn gets a bad rap for being the preeminent grain of industrialized farming, itā€™s very traditional, and itā€™s probably the most practical grain to take all the way from field to table on a small scale with simple equipment. For whole hominy you donā€™t even need a mill, but hominy grits are also relatively easier to grind.

3 Likes

Made 2 quiche with homegrown eggs, onion greens, garlic, and spinach.

French breakfast radishes, asparagus, and a mess of greens.

11 Likes

I had a nice ham bacon cheese omelet today for lunchā€¦ none of which I grewā€¦

But for a side dishā€¦ had a nice handful of broadleaf plantain mostly young tender flower spikesā€¦ with some greensā€¦ sauteed in some bacon fat with salt pepper chives.

Mmmmmm good.

2 Likes

i like sauteeing some spinach/ chives in bacon/ sausage drippings and adding to a omelet.

1 Like

Lettuce we are eating lots of it ! Buttercrunch and black seeeded Simpson.

2 Likes

One of my favorites tropical fruit. Lychees. Super yummy :yum:!

1622153474968360746577650994551|690x517

9 Likes

Having Grilled Rib Eye Steaks for dinner (wish I could grow those)ā€¦ with salad from the gardenā€¦ and for Desert some Loganberries, Red Raspberries, Gold Raspberries, and Sweet Scarlet goumi berries and a few strawberries.

TNHunter

4 Likes

Just some Mara des Bois and a few Seascape strawberries!

12 Likes

My first strawberries for the season. I had Earliglo and Jewel for a few years. I like one more than the other. So, I got rid of the one I like less. But I donā€™t remember which variety I keep!!.

12 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

We had a good store here for lychee and now they are more difficult to find.

1 Like

OK, strawberries it isā€¦ Chandler and Ozark Beauty.

15 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 ,
I was excited for a moment thinking you were growing your own lychees. If you ever did, I would be moving to live next to you. :joy:

2 Likes

You can (if you have enough space)! :slight_smile:

I posted this on the other pic thread, but I thought Iā€™d post it here too. I made a salad, some cooked greens and sun tea (with the mint) with what is pictured. All harvested fresh this morning.

7 Likes

Wowā€¦ all those strawberries look so good.

I picked more raspberries than we could eat todayā€¦ may have to freeze some tomorrow.

Farmgirlā€¦ I do have 30 acresā€¦ but only 3 clearedā€¦ the rest is heavy timberā€¦ grows some nice deer, squirrels and ginseng.

Your harvest today is awesome.

I love it when I can put everything we have for dinner on the plate from what I grew, foraged, or caught.

TNHunter

2 Likes

How stored ?

Deer love them

Iā€™m guessing Jewel. My Earliglow is small, doesnā€™t runner as well, and fills in comparatively poorly. Out of the 4 strawberries I have (Earliglow, Jewel, Flavorfest, and AC Valley Sunset) Earliglow is the only one Iā€™d look for an alternative for if I was to plant again. This year Earliglow, Jewell, and Flavorfest all started to trickle in at about the same time for me.

1 Like

I think you are right. I planted both of them side by side. By the 3rd year, one has taken over the other. Also, the aggressive one has larger berries and tastes better, too. I think I keep the Jewel.

How do you like Flavorfest? A friend told me it is very good.

When Flavorfest is dead ripe itā€™s got almost artificial strawberry flavor, but in a good way. Thatā€™s how I can best describe it.

Earliglow tastes very good itā€™s just not as vigorous and not as large as the others. The least flavorful of the four is AC Valley Sunset. The value from AC Valley Sunset comes from how late it is, how large the berries are, and how good it runners. Itā€™s still better than the supermarket and it extends the season. Iā€™m happy I got it.