What did you eat today - that you grew?

We have had non stop rain from end of June until yesterday. If forecast is correct, we may have a stretch of 5 rain-free for once starting today!!

Maybe, up to 60% of mirabelles cracked and rotted. It is still better than Coe’s Golden Drop. Look like 95% of Coe’s have cracked and brown rot has moved in while the fruit are still green.

What a disappointing fruit growing year here.

I’m sorry to hear about the rain.

This year has been drought. Probably only a fraction of an inch of rain in the past 2 months. And I try not to water that tree. So maybe that’s part of the improvement.

My mirabelles do still get some rot. I haven’t looked closely, but probably only 5 or 10%.

2 Likes

The agar sheds water so the sugar just melts.

Wow nice haul!

1 Like

Yep, mirabelles - measured a couple. 30 brix for the soft one and 27 for the firmer.

Also still very good after 24 hours on the counter. The gages degrade in texture in one day.

11 Likes

Going to use my new apple-peeler-corer today or tomorrow and bake a “Not Quite Ripe Goldrush Apple Pie”. Been picking them, one or two at a time . . . and like them this way. They are a bit tart - but juicy enough - and the heaviest apples I’ve ever held.
I still cannot believe that apples can actually be grown here! The only ones I’ve seen at local markets are little green ‘June apples’ for baking. Our apples seem like a little miracle! Well . . . . all our fruit does, to us!

2 Likes

Thank you.

I don’t have a few ingredients you do. I will see what I can do. Growing up agar-agar is the only thing we used to make” jello”. I am familiar with it.

1 Like

Hi Murky! The Lorraine mirabelles finally came into the market this morning so I bought two kilos, Jam on the way and maybe a tarte! Incredible. We wait for this all summer long. I’ll include a picture tomorrow.

2 Likes

Time to take tomatoes inside here in Pacific NW
We noticed that eve though nite temps are still above 50F some of the fruit is getting nipped! So today is harvest to store for indoor ripening

3 Likes

Today I had heritage red and fall gold raspberries… seedless Concord grapes… and some very nice wild muscadines.

12 Likes

Sugar Cane jujubes.

12 Likes

Today I got the first bag of dried apricots out of the freezer.

4 Likes

Today… red and gold raspberries… Concord grapes (just a few left now)… muscadines…

Had grilled rib eye steak for dinner…

With a skillet full of fried okra… and a few baby carrots… yes they need another month.

3 Likes

As often, the picture was an afterthought, this one doesn’t do it justice.

One of my 1st three Thornley pears. I picked it a few weeks ago, spent a week in the fridge and one on the counter.

Delicious. Outstanding. It justifies its place as one of the few European pears in the orchard.

It stood out at the pear tastings from the Home Orchard Society - even amidst the palate fatigue one gets from trying dozens of pears. I think the thing that made it stand out is its tanginess, to go along with being quite sweet.

To quote another post, summarizing the accession description from the germplasm repository “Aromatic, Spicy, sweet, buttery, fine textured, no grit - sounds pretty good to me.”

Measured 17 brix, everyone in the family liked it - which isn’t the case for most fruits.

Only complaints are, it’s pretty small, although significantly bigger than Seckel, and the skin texture wasn’t awesome, but was just fine.

Aromatic, Spicy,sweet, buttery, fine textured, no grit - sounds pretty good to me.

11 Likes

I started this post off with a pic of frozen loganberry…

And this morning I pulled my first pint of frozen logans (harvested this spring 6-30-2021) out of the freezer and used them to make topping for French toast.

This weekend is a carb cycle for me… but even thru a carb cycle I stick to paleo diet standards…

One pint logans… 4 tablespoons organic maple syrup… heated/simmered in a sauce pan.

If you normally eat SAD you might want to double the maple syrup.

Yes… I went a little overboard on the loganberry maple syrup topping. There is some sourdough French toast under that.

7 Likes

Lots of fall raspberries still coming in. Altered a cheesecake recipe so raspberry cheesecake bars with a Nanaimo bar crust.
Tasty but rich so a chunk went into the freezer for when the harvest is over.

6 Likes

I made no fry Eggplant Parmesan with the Violetta Lunga eggplants.

6 Likes

I finally picked 2 Fuyu persimmons, the squirrels have been getting to this tree.

6 Likes

I picked the rest of my persimmons, about 12, then I bought very green bananas and lay them on top of the persimmons, they are turning yellower, next year I will pick them as soon as they turn yellow.

I also picked thyme and Rosemary from the garden, one for roast chicken, the other for grilled lamb chops.

1 Like

CH Figs…

11 Likes