What did you eat today - that you grew?

Tomatoes, I still have lots of them.

maybe like some fruits, the frost sweetens them.

Maybe. It was nice and yellow on the bottom but the very middle of the flesh was a touch white. It was an ugly specimen, but tasty, and now that I’m thinking about it this may have even been planted in early August.

I’ll try to find space for this at the proper planting time. We got really lucky with the fall weather here. It was less than ideal for watermelon, but frost-free until well into October.

Charleston Grey home ripened is as good as watermelon gets.

I ate a Braeburn apple picked 9/18…been held at room temp.
Getting tasty. (Some in the fridge probably I can eat on at New Years).

And had a couple other apples.

Picked nasturtium leaves to go in salad.

We are due for frost in the next day or 2 so I made “herb pucks” for the freezer.
I cut all the tender fall greens from our walking onions. Then take most of a couple of 1- year parsley and some celery leaves. This year I also threw in all the nasturtium flowers I could find, garlic chives, thyme and some oregano leaves.

They all get thrown into the commercial grade food processor, with some cooking wine and verejus to help the chopping, until they are a green paste.
Then we portion it out into muffin tins, freeze and bag for the year.
Instant fresh herbs for soups and sauces!

Also picked the last of the fall red raspberries. They will be missed, but it was a great run.

3 Likes

Chicago Hardy figs and hickory nuts…

The hickory nuts are a little work to get the nut meat out but I like them a lot… eat a few every day until I run out.

6 Likes

I pulled two of my double okra rows today…
In the compost pile now… one was shading my greens patch some… and they looked about done anyway.

I do still have one double row left… and hoping to get more… but looking doubtful now.

I did manage to find a few pods today and had one more great side dish tonight… with a grilled rib eye.

1 Like

Satsuma, pretty decent.

Cherry tomatoes

5 Likes

Beautiful pumpkin, this is a small one. In the oven for baking.

7 Likes

Heritage red raspberries… and my last grapes…

11 Likes

Pulped the last of the pawpaws today. Love that banana mango flavor. Will be frozen for ice cream and smoothies.

8 Likes

Mustard and dandelion greens, black walnut kernels and a radish.
Added a lot to the evening menu.

4 Likes

I ate the one and only Pink Lady apple that we got from our struggling little tree. I plan to take some scions from it and graft to another tree . . . pull up the Pink Lady tree and use the real estate for a new variety.
The apple was very small . . . but pretty good.

6 Likes

Your Pink Lady is not very pink. My Pink Lady is a very late, very pink and small’ish apple.

5 Likes

@mamuang . . . What can I say???
It was labeled a Pink Lady. It was from Albemarle Ciderworks - in Charlottesville. I bought two other apple trees from them - and the other two are towering over this one.
Few of my fruits are turning out to be ‘postcard perfect’. But I really have no reason - other than its ‘pinkness’ - to question it being a Pink Lady. If the tree were happier where it is - and if it had set more apples . . . perhaps some would be pink. ?

P.S. - I waited and waited for my Goldrush apples to turn ‘gold’. They haven’t - thus far. But they were really good, none the less. The ones still hanging on the tree are full of imperfections - soot and other uglies. They may not be very appetizing now. I left several apples to see if they would ever turn to gold! Don’t think that’s happening.
I may need to schedule a visit from Rumpelstiltskin next year. :wink:

1 Like

Maypops, oyster mushrooms (two different strains), wine caps.

4 Likes

@FarmGirl-Z6A See @marc5 still had pawpaws. >_>

Bumper crop of Asian pears this year. Gave so many away and dried enough to fill 10 gallon bags.

20 Likes

For lunch today… last pint of deer stew… pressure canned last fall.

Thought I had already eaten all these… but found one more in the pantry.

3 Likes