What did you eat today - that you grew?

How long does canning last vs. freezing? I bought everything to start canning, but have yet to use it.

1 Like

Per Google search… low acid canned foods… like meat soups stews pumpkin carrots peas… Ph 4.5 or lower 2-5 years.
Best quality if used in 1 year.

I eat mine in 1 year normally… and for sure b4 2.

Nice thing about pressure canning vs freezing is an extended power outage is no problem for your pressure canned goods… but your freezer stuff will be in trouble.

1 Like

Picked these on my lunch hour… raspberries strawberries hickory nuts…

4 Likes

That’s loaded. What variety?

I would guess Hoyshu for one and Shinseki for my other tree from images of varieties. My spelling may be off but one is smooth yellow outside with sweet, crisp and white flesh. The other is a russet outer color with a more distinctive fruity taste and needs to be picked when fully mature to get the full sweet taste.! Image of the yellow skinned one. 0916211215_HDR|690x920

Calville Blanc d’hiver, before and after, lol.

15 Likes

Probably Hosui, a good one.

1 Like

Eat my first citrus fruit, mandarins and one pomelo. Could have waited a few more weeks. When you have enough, you just try one , than another. The interesting part, they are growing out of their comfort zone, verdict: pretty good!

Eating one pomelo is like eating 12 mandarins, that’s a bit much for one day!
I might convert some citrus trees to pomelo’s. Only have 2 varieties Valentines and Thong Dee, sionwood from Joe Real, long time ago, sure miss him on this forum, very, very knowledgeable person.

8 Likes

Autumn berries and pears

2 Likes

i have 20 calamondin starting to ripen and one minneloa on my dwarf minneola i got last spring but its far from being ripe. looking forward to that one. planning to make some marmalade from the calamondin. i like them fresh but only a few.

2 Likes

Cherry tomatoes

Oro Blanco, mandarins, and satsumas

7 Likes

Almost 2 pounds! Monster Pom! A Granada.
Was ripe and had started to crack. A lot of my poms are cracking, now. Most are ripe . . . some are immature. This one was one of the best tasting we have had this year.
Just glad to have ANY after the Fungus Fiasco of 2020!

19 Likes

Raspberries, hickory nuts…

11 Likes

Beautiful. I used to love eating them but haven’t in a while. Will get one soon.

1 Like

Had a nice salad , carrots…

With prime rib… love all that…

8 Likes

Today I tried making pear pie using a recipe I found online. I’ve made apple pies before but this is first time using pears. These were made with some of the keiffer pears I have in cold storage. I don’t really care for them fresh so looking for alternative ways to use them. I cheated and used a Pillsbury pie crust. I’m not much of a cook any more.

Pie was pretty good. Was not overly sweet but didn’t have the nice acidity to it that a good apple pie does. I used fresh sqeezed lemon zest and juice but I found myself wanting more tartness. The other issue is that pears don’t seem to soften as much as apples. For me.the pears needed to be a little after.

Not bad though.

12 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

@speedster1

Was cinnamon , nutmeg, sugar, and lemon what you used? It looks pretty good!

Yes Clark. Exactly. I used the recipe below and added nutmeg based on comments in the reviews.

2 Likes

@speedster1

I think you should start a new thread on pear pies there are so many recipes. Posting it here by the time someone wants it the website will be down I bet. I’m using the word someone loosely meaning me or you in a month possibly.

Prep:

40 mins

Cook:

50 mins

Additional:

4 hrs

Total:

5 hrs 30 mins

Servings:

Yield:

1 9-inch pie

• 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 5 cups peeled and sliced pears
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions

Instructions Checklist

• Step 1

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Place a baking sheet on the bottom oven rack.

• Step 2

Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest in mixing bowl. Roll out half the pastry and line a 9-inch pie pan.

• Step 3

Arrange pear slices in layers in the pastry-lined pan, sprinkling the sugar mixture over each layer. Dot with butter and sprinkle with lemon juice.

• Step 4

Roll out remaining dough for the top crust. Use your finger dipped in a small bowl of water to moisten the rim of the bottom crust. Place top crust over filling, and trim edge using kitchen shears or a sharp paring knife. Fold edge under bottom crust, pressing to seal. Flute edge. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.

• Step 5

Bake in the preheated oven on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes longer. Allow to cool several hours before serving.

2 Likes