What did you eat today - that you grew?

:laughing:

I believe we bought a jar of pickled garlic some years ago and made Xs in a pork loin and shoved the garlic down in it before roasting. Pretty tasty!

1 Like

ive done that but i puréed them 1st then pumped the loin up with a marinating syringe then a rub of rosemary, salt and coarse pepper. was out of this world!

1 Like

Strawberries, strawberries, and more strawberries! Raspberries are just starting as we are heading out of town. Lots of peas and lettuce as well.

16 Likes

@Megan_6a … nice looking berries … and some good sized ones tooo…

Can you share the variety ? And how you rate them taste wise.

I got a bunch of strawberries in May but mine have really slowed down now. I must be a few weeks ahead of you there.

1 Like

@TNHunter

We’ve grown the following June-bearing varieties: Earliglow, Flavorfest, Jewel, Allstar, and Sparkle. We’ve also grown ever-bearing varieties: Eversweet, Tribute and Mara de Bois. We’re over 100lbs this year from our 50x100 ft urban lot.

For berry size, health and vigor Flavorfest has been the clear winner in our yard (although you really have to stay on top of runners). The flavor is good (although some of the others are better).
They are a little acid with almost a strawberry kool-aid note. They are moderately firm, juicy, and berry size is maintaining through the season. Jewel also produces good sizes berries, but the plants aren’t as vigorous and a little more susceptible to disease. Sparkle is probably our best tasting June-bearing. Berries are little softer and size is good at the start, but does decrease during the season. Earliglow has good flavor, usually very sweet, but berries are small and size decreases significance during the season, which makes picking and hulling a pain.

Mara de Bois is my favorite based strictly on taste. However they’re always covered in leaf spot and the light, continual harvest means that most of the berries feed our ample chipmunk population. Berries are soft and small. Eversweet and Tribute taste very good later in the summer when the weather is warmer but lackluster in June.

My overall pick for my region would be Flavorfest. Good flavor, size, vigor and disease resistance.

4 Likes

sparkle is a old favorite here and at the upicks. they have tried growing newer ones but people prefer the taste of the sparkle. they make the best preserves. i have galleta, mara des bois and archer. galleta is a daughter or earliglow with great taste and bigger berries. archer has huge great tasting berries. mara tastes best out of all of them but isnt a real big producer. immunox sprayed just before bloom and right after june bloom controls leaf spot .

2 Likes

I’m getting a bunch of Sparkles tomorrow on super clearance. Bareroot, lol. We’ll see. I’ve never tried Sparkle.

Today I ate random blueberries (sweetheart, Sunshine Blue, an untagged one and either Bluecrop or Jersey who are forever mixed up in my yard). And Springcrest peaches, Bruce plum… and Apex plumcot (which I don’t recommend due to extreme stinginess).

Bruce plum needs heat as well as sun, btw. I had thought it was just sun but this season has proven it needs to ripen in hot weather to be really good.

We got our very first decent Methley plums, EVER, this year. ? Who knows why??? But they are great! I sprayed, minimally . . . but it must have been at the right time - and all the planets were aligned - and WahhhLahhh - PLUMS!
I also picked some raspberries yesterday. - And, like @Cafeaulait . . . all my blueberries are a jumble - variety wise - but they are starting to ripen, too. Methley Plums 2022

Rasperries 2022

20 Likes

We love our Methley plums, which have been reliable and delicious. Congrats on the first harvest and enjoy!

3 Likes

I eat my fingernails!
Grew every last one of them myself.
However, weren’t that good.
And everyone claims organic fertilizer make things grow more delicious!

1 Like

Stella Cherries, Meyer (small) and Eureka (large) lemons. Buddy eats about 30 cherries a dayScreen Shot 2022-06-16 at 11.08.56 AM

16 Likes

Pickling Cucumbers, doing 2 dill pickle jars today with our own dill, actually the dill came from our compost.

13 Likes

They look so good. Mine are just baby plants yet. I made about 10 gallons of refrigerator garlic dills last season. Still enjoying them.

8 Likes

I had to rebuild the garden due to my move, so everything went in really late. I didn’t expect any of the cole crops to produce, but my Fioretto 60 cauliflower did! It was delicious with black garlic ghee. Fioretto 60 may be my favorite (if unusual) cauliflower now.

10 Likes

I missed the 2 large pickling cucumbers.

3 Likes

Ora-pro-nobis (Pereskia Aculeata) ready to salads and juice

6 Likes

Jalapeño and Anaheim peppers

4 Likes

Garlic from 2021, so 11 months storage. Some cloves are sprouting green but still usable. Some haven’t sprouted.

2 Likes

@danzeb What garlic varieties are you growing?

The remaining variety is Music hard neck.

5 Likes